Author Topic: Suggested price for 4-speed transmission?  (Read 2475 times)

roadsterdude

Suggested price for 4-speed transmission?
« on: January 05, 2011, 22:27:28 »
I am starting to do some work to the '69 280 SL that I purchased about 2 years ago.  I have been too busy to really do much except drive it ocassionally since I bought it, but have some time now to have some "garage fun'!  It has a 5-speed ZF transmission that I absolutely love, but it is a transplant done in 1999.  I have the invoice from when it was installed.  It operates flawlessly.

I just learned from the guy that owned it before me, that the second prior owner (who also lives close by) has the original 4-speed transmission in his garage, and would like to sell it.  I obviously would like to have it, since it is the matching numbers tranny for my car, but before I call him, I wanted to pick the forum's collective brain, as to its value.  I do not know if he replaced it because it needed it, or simply because he came by the ZF. 

Assuming it is a good tranny, what is a 4-speed worth?  If it has issues, what is it worth as a core?  It is worth something to me just to have the original in case I would ever want to restore to original.

Mike

Re: Suggested price for 4-speed transmission?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 22:56:07 »
You see a fair number of these for sale on ebay in the range of $400-600 that are supposedly in good shape.  I had mine gone through and bearings and synchros replaced on an as-needed basis and it cost approx $500, excluding removal and replacement.