Author Topic: A/C Situation  (Read 2787 times)

George Des

A/C Situation
« on: April 24, 2004, 05:21:24 »
Have finally got everything installed on my 67 230SL--Kuhlmeister underdash unit, original 280SL Kuhlmeister compressor bracket with Sanden 508 compressor, receiver/dryer, condensor, hoses and belts. To route the alternator drive belt around the water pump/fan assembly I installed an adjustable idler pulley at about the 1 o'clock position from the water pump if you're looking at the engine. The idler is mounted on a flat piece of 3/16" steel plate bolted directly to the engine front using the same two mounting bolts that secure the main a/c bracket. It took several trips to Pep Boys with a tape measure to find a suitable set of belts for the setup but this should all be ready to fire up shortly. The routing of the hoses was a real challenge because of the real lack of maneuver room under the hood. Fortunately I had an ATCO Beadlock crimper that allowed me to make the hose up as I went along. Several were actually made up after I had routed them to their proper locations. My condensor is parallel flow, high efficiency and attached to the radiator with four brackets. I set if down as low as possible to avoid any interference with the hood closing. I can see though that this is still going to be real close. for those of you with A/C systems, how tight is the clearance between your condensors and the hood when it is open ?  Once i get this all charged up and running, I'll post some picutes of the setup.

George Des

George Davis

Re: A/C Situation
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 09:46:42 »
Hi George,

glad your a/c system is coming together.  I installed an aftermarket system, with similar-sounding condenser, also mounted as low as possible.  I just checked clearances, on one side maybe 3/8 inch clearance to hood when open.  I couldn't see the other side but could feel it, and it's something like 2-3 mm!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual