Author Topic: Radiator  (Read 3792 times)

GroovyTiggr

Radiator
« on: January 14, 2011, 12:16:54 »
Dear member,

I've got a leak in my radiator. I searched the forum for refurbishments (I believe re-core's).

Got two questions for you guys:
1. I went to a company in the Netherlands, they ask 450 EURO for a refurbishment. If I see the prices on the forum (250 USD) this is very high. Do you know an address in the Netherlands where this can be done for a better price?

2. I read on the forum about High Effective radiators (or something like this). How is this High Effective  and how can I tell the difference bewteen this and a normal radiator?

Thanks

DavidBrough

Re: Radiator
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:27:37 »
The standard radiator is two core but the top and bottom tanks can take a three core element and this is what is often referred to as a high efficiency radiator. I had mine done a couple of years ago and the price was £200

SteveK

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 13:57:50 »
David is correct, 3 rows of tubes is definitely the way to go.  They also make two styles of fins, the regular one is rectangular shaped with flat fins, there is a higher efficiency one that has a 6 sided shape and even has some twist to the fin to create turbulence and promote higher heat transfer. I opted for the 3 row with the regular fins; it cost $425 in Houston 2 years ago and it works great in 100 degree F heat. (no AC and standard transmission)

GroovyTiggr

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:17:55 »
Thanks for your replies.

Does the transmission (manual/automatic) also matters for the kind of radiator? This was a question from the garage.

DavidBrough

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:06:12 »
If you're buying a new radiator yes as the automatics use the bottom tank as a cooler and I don't think the manuals do, if you are just having a new core then no as the existing top and bottom tanks will be retained and only the water element changed.