Author Topic: Water pump replacement labor reasonable?  (Read 3398 times)

Roadstir

• Junior Level
  • USA, VA, Richmond
Water pump replacement labor reasonable?
« on: April 25, 2004, 00:36:48 »
http://

Hi Everyone,

Well, winter is over at last and I'm enjoying the Virginia weather.  (for now, at least)  Lately I've been noticing a small coolant leak from under the engine.  Last Friday I was driving down the road and the smell got worse.  A steady stream was coming out now.

I pulled into a Exxon garage and saw several of the bays filled with some nice import vehicles.  In addition, I used to coach one of the attendants in basketball.  He told me that they were a reliable and honest shop, so I left it there for evaluation.  Turns out it was the water pump after all.  In short order I had a new (reman.) MB pump and thermostat for $95.  I delivered these to the mechanic for install.

The next morning he called and said that it was more difficult than he'd estimated.  My final bill for labor was $500.  Is this reasonable?  He charged 6 hours labor and $50 for backflushing and filling the system.  He did not replace the thermostat as I asked.  The ticket stated that one of the housing bolts
Code: [Select]
 was corroded- so he did not touch it.

Thanks for your input!

Roadstir - VA

ps  When is the next Virginia get-together?

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Water pump replacement labor reasonable?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 01:10:13 »
Hello Roadstir,
I have the Mercedes factory "Service Operation Time Guide" . It allows 2.2 hours for a water pump removal and replacement on a 280-SL. If it has A/C add another 1.5 hours. The thermostat replacement for the same vehicle allows 0.5 hours.

Consider that these times are established when these cars were clean and new and the work was to be done by factory trained technicians with access to special tools and good working conditions.

Unfortunately the labor rate is four or five times higher today than back then!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

George Des

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 05:48:54 »
Roadstir,

Had mine done several years ago and the price you paid is in the ballpark of what I paid. The problem with these cars is that relatively inexpensive parts require the removal of quite a few other parts to get at them. It is usually during this process that other problems are also encountered--like a stubborn or broken bolt. In the case of the water pump, you almost have to always remove the radiator to gain the necessary access. If being worked by those not familiar with these cars, that probably would mean removing the hood---this has it's own set of problem with re-attaching! The radiator can actually be dropped from below w/o removing the hood and this eliminates the hood problem, but again you have to know. Like Joe said the A/C system and all the plumbing that entails only adds to the number of components that need to be removed or worked around. If you want to hear an about an even more complicated procedure, ask someone about changing out a hetaer motor or windshield wiper matrix!!!

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 07:01:12 »
Roadstir,

I also had my water pump replaced. It was less than 6 hours, but not by much.

Each fall, I sponsor a Group event in Alexandria. We had about 15 cars and 25 participants. E-mail me through the club and I will send you info on this event from last year.

We don't need to wait until the fall to have a gathering. If others are interested in a Virginia event, we can do one earlier. If there are any takers email me offline.

Best,

Tom

Tom
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown