Author Topic: Need help  (Read 4188 times)

n/a

Need help
« on: May 06, 2004, 14:39:16 »
Hi,

Need some help. My accelerator linkage has disconnected where the 270 degree hook goes over the 2.5 cm pulley. Not too hard to fix. Problem is, it lives under the exhaust manifold. Cannot come from below as the starter motor is well and truly blocking it and coming from over is a nightmare. If you go to this web link http://sls.sparebase.de/bin/dbframes.phtml?mid=IN02
then go to item 30 in the contents and in the Accelerator Linkage picture it is - where "28" meets "74"

Has anyone had this problem that knows how to fix it? It seems I can:

1. either force it over with long handled pliers but I don't really want ot as may damage roller.
2. Take off the intake and exhaust manifold for access (seems like a lot of work)
3. Maybe disconnect the hook from the other end, disconnect the hard linkage and piece the parts together out of the engine bay and then reassemble - but how hard is it to disconnect the other end of the hook and then reattach?

Please help if you can.

Thanks,

Andrew
London
1967 250SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 16:28:55 »
How about taking out the starter motor? This is less work than removing the manifolds for sure. Did the connection just slip off?

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 17:20:36 »
Cees,

Gave her a rev after startup.... and nothing! Just slipped off; although it's amazingly hard to slip back on. Removing starter motor no good as there is still and engine mount in the way. I think I'll disconnect the linkage and reassemble outside the bay and then try and get it back in. If anyone else knows please let me know.

Cheers,

Andrew
London
1967 250SL

jlennon3

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 19:24:23 »
The round rubber part (#74) get hard as a rock with age. You should replace this part; it should then slide on easily

knirk

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 00:11:00 »
I am planning to replace the two ball connectors on this bracket. Some days ago when I was lying peacefully under the car (wich I do a lot), it looked to me that there may be enough room to access the bracket from the front side of the right engine mount. To get it out should be easy. All you need is a long screwdriver to push off the lock ring. But to get it back on - maybe my slim armed 14 year old daughter could have a go.

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

n/a

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 05:03:25 »
Thanks all. I managed to fix it. I rang the mechanics and they uttered the usual ("I see" and "Oh dear"). He suggested I take off both manifolds. I didn't!

I removed the stem completely by unclipping from the other end, greased the ring and replaced with some minor force back on to the hold ring.

I thought about replacing the rubber hold ring but could see no way of doing this without dismantling the entire length back to the accelerator which goes in behind the break server.... forget it for now, I will do it on the restoration.

Cheers,

Andrew
London
1967 250SL