Author Topic: slow turn signal  (Read 4871 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
slow turn signal
« on: April 21, 2011, 00:44:11 »
I put my new light doors back on  and now the passenger side blinkers work very slow and sometime even stop flashing-the drivers side works at the correct speed. Has anyone ever heard of this? I wonder what could be wrong-everything looks good and my bulbs seem to be good
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
Re: slow turn signal
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:31:16 »
Could it be something as simple as a worn-out flasher? I'm all thumbs mechanically, but I pumped gas as a wayward youth and I remember peddling a few flashers on occasions when I observed a slow turn signal on an approaching car.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:37:33 »
are there 2 flashers on these cars?? -Where is the flasher, or flashers?
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:44:06 »
Consult the technical manual and you will be rewarded!  ;)
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/FlasherRelay
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 17:20:02 »
I recently did a Tech-Tip for the Gull Wing Group relative to flasher unit replacement and thought it might be of help here as well:

Shortly before the 2010 Convention, the turn signal flasher unit in my 1955 Coupe stopped working. 
A slightly premature post-mortem examination revealed that a tiny spring supplying proper placement for one of the bimetallic strips had collapsed rendering the unit inoperative.  An adjustable harness made from fine wire restored operability, but with a slightly different flashing cadence than previously. 
On the return drive from Saratoga Springs the unit stopped working again making it the obvious time for a more permanent solution, but this was complicated by the fact that the original flasher unit had been substituted by the first owner of the car (sometime prior to 1964) and that I did not wish to disturb the somewhat fragile wiring harness so as to return to the original configuration.  Hence, I was faced with the task of adapting a modern flasher unit to fit within the existing canister to mate up with the female connecter as installed on the harness.
Several trials with modern flasher units (I didn’t realize there were so many) resulted in no activity whatsoever, the blowing of No.5 fuse or an unacceptably rapid flashing rate depending on how the wires were connected.  Research indicated that these units all had a “bulb out” sensing circuit that would produce a rapid flash to indicate an inoperative bulb and that the load created by the Coupe’s standard two bulb system was not sufficient to overcome this modern day safety device.
    Research on the Internet revealed www.autolumination.com which advertised an EP34 (CF13JL-02) unit sporting the proper electrical connections and designed to restore a proper flash rate regardless of incandescent or LED bulb use or any mixture thereof. $14.99 plus $4.00 shipping plus four day delivery time from Arizona provided me with a generic appearing flasher labeled only “0431” which when temporarily wired into the car worked perfectly. 
   To provide the proper connection to the existing wiring, I dismembered a standard  Mercedes-Benz relay (001 542 02 19) and soldered wires to the appropriate pins to provide the needed “B” (+), “E” (-) and “L” (Load) connections.  Since there would be insufficient room within the old canister to allow use of push on wire connectors, the flat spades on the flasher unit were drilled and tapped for 6-32 screws and the wires attached accordingly.  A new base plate was fabricated from sheet plastic to mount the reconfigured relay base and to seal the bottom of the canister.  This base plate was attached to the relay base using ethyl cyanoacrylate glue.
   Finally, to eliminate any chance of shorting caused by internal movement, all connections were covered with Liquid Electrical Tape  and the inside of the canister was insulated with a portion of the central cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper (several attempts were required here as these tubes come in slightly different diameters).  The completed assembly was installed in the canister using clear silicone as an adhesive/sealer resulting in a unit visually identical to that with which I began, but one that functioned as intended. 

ctm14

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 05:28:15 »
   So I am starting to dig into some of the DIY projects with my recently acquired 1969 280; with the help of this forum of course.  Replacing the turn indicator relay is the current project and I have read all the posts as well as the piece in the tech manual.  I have to say I am impressed, at 40 I don't imagine I am the youngest member but certainly not the oldest and as I read through all the discussions about removing the relay not a person mentioned let alone complained about the inverted position you need to get into to gain access. I found myself inverted with the seat edge digging into my rib cage and my head firmly planted into the floor mat while one hand worked the ratchet and my second contorted to stop the nut from spinning.  I did it though and now have the 40 year old silver relay in hand with two options for replacement.

I am wondering what the consensus is on finding an original replacement versus the modern units that need a bit of re-wiring.  I read that the modern units are electronic and can be found at SLS or Millers in the link below. Do the new units perform better and how do you secure them under the dash?  I don't see that they have the bracket the OEM unit has.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000228b~Z5Z5Z51078~P62.32~~~~S3EY07L8HA75251605314a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000228B

Does anyone have a source for an OEM or like replacement?

Thanks