Author Topic: New car arrived today....  (Read 13567 times)

peterm

Re: New car arrived today....
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 16:56:45 »
Given the speed at which your moving have you entered it in a concours this weekend?

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 17:07:49 »
Passport Transport just delivered my car this morning. The car left San Diego on April 18th and arrived this morning at 8:30 AM ET in Cincinnati. The great thing about Passport is you can track you car via a GPS website. I highly recommend them. The bad thing is I am on a business trip all week and won't be able to drive the car until Saturday! :'(

Sorry for the bad picture (wife took it on her cell phone camera).
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

amg65ri

Fuel Update
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 16:24:42 »
Ok, so last night i drained the fuel tank the easy way.... I removed the bolt on the bottom of the tank!!!,  luckily I only had a gallon in there Caught it in a bucket)... I found the filter to be completly covered and also some sand (probably light rust, blocking the filter)

Well I removed it and cleaned it and washed out the tank. What a difference. The fuel is flowing to the injectors now... I mean before it was a drizzle. Now it is really flowing. For others with starting issues, be sure to remove the fuel line on the drivers side of the fuel filter housing. If you turn the key you should get quite the flow of fuel. I think a gallon a minute is very accurate!!!.

I am going to drain the oil, and coolant after work and try to get this car running....

Another issue I found is the accelerator pedal seems stuck. Does anyone know how to un-freeze this from the lower passenger side engine. It appears the linkage that connects throgh the passenger side block is stuck. For now i am going to PB blast this linkage and see what happens. It definitely seems frozen though. What is the purpose of this linkage besides the obvious air/fuel operations...

amg65ri

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 00:36:38 »
Sucess !!!  i got the car running...  I was able to move it around the driveway. It idles very nice, but is lacking some power for sure. I definitely need some advide on what to do next...

The throttle was stuck in the full open position. i needed to dissamble the linkage on the passenger side and clean and reassemble.  I imagine that is one reason why the original owner could not get it running and gave up. It also explains the consistency of the oil.

Tommorrow I will go through the exhaust (rattles a bit) and see what I can do to get some power back....

thanks for all the help so far everyone....