Author Topic: Another day, another car: opinions ?  (Read 2682 times)

Deschodt

Another day, another car: opinions ?
« on: May 10, 2011, 13:53:50 »

The left side of the trunk floor looks like either a gnarly repair or paint over rust, to me. Just anted to check with you gurus !  This one is almost DQ'ed on account of price vs. top damage (hole in the top where it locks down), rust bubble in the fender and this... How much is a new top anyway? $3K or so ?  Just wondering if it's worthy of a lower offer (seller is somewhat eager to sell). Probably not, how many times am I gonna make this mistake??? I need to hang tough and pay the price to get a nice car this time. Just checking...  

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 13:56:34 by Deschodt »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Another day, another car: opinions ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 19:36:00 »
That trunk floor does look messy. I would not worry so much about rust in those panels and in the wheel wel lip (easily repaired), but I would be far more concerned about more extensive rust in the more structural parts. I would have someone check that out to be sure, before determining how much a reasonable price would be for the car.

I've always believed it is financially best to buy one that a previous owner has fully (and I mean fully and properly) restored, if you intend to keep it for a long time that is.

Good luck with the decision.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Another day, another car: opinions ?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 19:39:50 »
Please don't buy a car unless someone who knows the cars has looked at it. These things can rust in so many places unless you really know where to look you can really get taken.