Author Topic: Wax removal  (Read 4886 times)

n/a

Wax removal
« on: May 12, 2004, 14:24:29 »
I've read a lot of posts about what to wax one's car with. Now I need to know the best way to start over. What should I wash with to remove old waxes to begin fresh? Don't think I need to compound. Maybe a little polishing would help. Ideas for good products? Thanks.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

blairwag

Re: Wax removal
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 20:19:41 »
I use STP's Son of a Gun Car Wash concentrate.  It's a stringent cleaner that wount harm the paint nor rubber/plastic.  But you could use most anything. Really, any stong soap or detergent will take the wax off - unless it's not true wax.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TA250SL

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 20:31:51 »
From what I have learned from various auto detailing forums, the dishwashing soap Dawn is a great wax remover when added to a bucket of water.  Then you are ready for polishing, if needed, and waxing.  You can learn much more from the detailing forum at www.mercedesshop.com.

Tom

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 04:14:06 »
I read somewhere that dishwash detergent should not be used on a car...fact or fiction?

Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Ben

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 04:30:47 »
The only comment I would add is to avoid using household detergents as they invariably contain a lot of salt which IS harmful to paintwork!

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

n/a

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 08:08:42 »
What about those "space age products" like Nu Finish? If something like that was used, can it be removed safely? I'd like to get down to the paint and start over with good wax.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 09:10:56 »
Shawn,

I use the Megueir's 3 step process.  After using your preferred car wash soap you use step 1 cleaner.  I use this step twice as the first pass takes off wax and starts cleaning the paint.  The second pass really cleans the paint.  Step 2 is polish and step 3 is wax.

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/index.cfm

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

George Davis

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 09:47:20 »
Richard M,

What I've read is that dishwashing liquid strips the wax because it's full of grease-cutters.  Auto car wash products don't have the grease cutters so they don't strip the wax.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 09:35:32 »
Dawn liquid dish detergent  will strip wax and leave the paint ready for another coat of polish and wax. One misnonmer is that old wax yellows this is not true. Since it is a coating that wears of with time the avarage life of a carnauba paste was is 2 to 3 months a best.
Daimler/ Chrysler will be introducing a new nano cermatic paint technology on the new 2005 SLK. PPG claims 40% better mar and scratch resistance in carwashes.
I am still on the fense until I get one in and read the technical information.
Bob Geco

Ben

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 03:18:09 »
The Nano Paint is already standard on the CLK's MY'04, you can tell by either "N" or "K" in front of the paintcode number  !  Interesting to see how it holds up !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor