Author Topic: Tracing a vehicle history  (Read 3271 times)

psherlock

Tracing a vehicle history
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:13:49 »
Hi all - I have just joined the Group and am enjoying our 69 280sl that we have owned for around 4 months. I am based in Melbourne, Australia and would like to trace the history of our car. The original books are gone and the dealer we bought the car off was going to get the previous owner to contact me but to no avail. Any suggestions/experience welcome. Cheers Peter

ricrose

Re: Tracing a vehicle history
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:07:06 »
Hi Peter

Great to have another Melbourne car. I also recently joined and have done exactly what you are looking to do.

My car was originally South Australia registered - and when I bought it the agent said there wasn't a great deal (read no) history. I used that to drive the price down a lot.
I then called the Mercedes agents in Adelaide and a couple of them looked back at their records (for the original registration number) and gave me some of the detail that they thought they could without telling me who the owner was. One of them contacted the owner (who was still a customer with a modern car) and he then contacted me. It was great. He told me that he had given the agent in Melbourne some of the records - which the agent then 'remembered' and I got hold of them. That was a month after I bought the car. I think the bottom line is keep the pressure on the dealer.

The only two other sources are Vicroads (don't expect too much help there) and I would also try Shannons or Lumleys (Insurance) as there is a good chance one of them covered the car recently. One of them may put the previous owner in touch with you.

The most valuable record - other than service record - is the data Card. Every car came with one and it gives a HUGE amount of information as to the car build and original equipment. Have a look at this link -
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/DataCards.
I ordered mine from the US - one email and no charge. I doubted if the US would have Australian records, but it came straight back with all the data - and a translation.

Good luck.

Richard

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:22:15 »
Welcome aboard Peter, nice to have another Melbourne based car.

Vic Roads are very unhelpful but don't let that stop you from trying.  I know mine came from Scotland, via New Zealand but not much else is known.

The MB centre in California will give you the data card information at no cost and that is really important to see what it started with for originality purposes.  You will find this site the best resource for knowledge on these vehicles so feel free to ask away at questions on anything to do with Pagodas.

Garry.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

psherlock

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:28:43 »
Thanks Garry and Richard - I appreciate the feedback and will start the process. Like you guys, it will just be of great interest to me if I can get a little history! Many thanks and cheers Peter

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:14:18 »
the classic center cannot even come up with info about what region of the united states our cars were delivered. I hit a big brick wall-the data sheet really says nothing about the true history. I would like to know where my car was delivered, what dealership, and preferrably , the owner history. If anyone knows a way to find out, please let me know
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red