Author Topic: HubCap painting  (Read 7303 times)

n/a

HubCap painting
« on: May 21, 2004, 19:41:38 »
Okay, thanks to this forum I have a nice set of shiny hub caps.  Now I need to paint them. Has anyone simply masked and painted the hubcaps with a can of spray paint?  If so, where do you get the pant?  I'm not looking for a professional job, just a solid improvement over what I have....

Thanks, Wayne

wayne gaudette

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: HubCap painting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 23:59:54 »
I masked my new caps with masking tape (a lot of work) and had them spray-painted at the same time as the car itself. The result is ok but not very good. Using a spray paint can may not work well, since the chrome/steel is not a very easy surface for paint to adhere to, and paint from a can is usually a lot less durable than professional paint. There is someone in Germany that sells new masking templates. I know at least one forum member bought one, perhaps it would be possible to borrow/rent one for the job?

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

knirk

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 02:01:22 »
I bought the Hubcap Masking Tool from Christian Baumgartner in Germany.  The price including shipping was 81 Euro ($ 96). I will be happy to lend it to you, but the shipping cost from Norway is rather expensive - about $32. I haven't used it one my hubcaps yet so you have to give me about two weeks. In the long run it would probably be cheaper to order a set to be shipped around in the American continent. It took a week to get it, and Christian's e-mail is: CBS.BAUMGARTNER@onlinehome.de

Download Attachment: masking.JPG
63.36 KB

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 11:28:45 »
Thanks for the info!  I think I will attempt to mask and paint the covers myself.  If the surface is prepped properly, I believe the paint will stick.  The template is the way to go but too much work for what I'm looking for (but thanks for the offer).  I'll post some photos of my results....

-Wayne

'69 Green SL280
Raleigh , NC

wayne gaudette

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 12:52:41 »
Can anyone confirm that the masking tool shown works on the earlier 113 hubcaps? The hubcaps are slightly different and I undertsand the "branding-iron" variety were not interchangeable. Thanks

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 16:19:22 »
I finally aquired the rest of the hub cap stencel and masking tools O was looking for. these are the factory tools sold by Daimler -Benz AG. I had to clean them up with paint striper and have not tried them yet. I noticed the plastic mold unites by CBS Baugartner and would like to now if anyine has tried his stencle system so I can compare.
Bob Geco

n/a

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 19:36:51 »
After about 45min (ea) sanding and masking my shiney new hub caps, I sprayed them with Rustoleum Hunter green followed by a gloss overcoat.  The results were spectacular.  If the paint holds up it will be a success!

-Wayne

wayne gaudette