Author Topic: Sub Frame & engine mounts  (Read 3331 times)

n/a

Sub Frame & engine mounts
« on: May 21, 2004, 19:45:57 »
I am in need of both, any recommendations on where to purchase?  Also, can someone recommend a repair manual that details the procedure?

Thanks, Wayne

1969 SL280
Raleigh, NC  

wayne gaudette

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Sub Frame & engine mounts
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 00:12:41 »
The mounts should be available from any of the specialized parts suppliers you will find in the suppliers database. While you're at it, you may want to also replace the transmission mount. As for a job description, this should be in the BBB or you can try the technical articles on this site. I replaced my engine and transmission mounts some time ago and it took me and a friend about 4 hours as I recall. We did not do the subframe mounts mind you. The trick to doing the engine mounts was to do each side in turn, rather than trying to do both at the same time.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 05:46:24 »
Hey Wayne,

Have a look at this site for the sub frame mounts replacement
http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy_108_subframe.htm

Here are some notes from the Yahoo site I have copied to my hard drive about the engine mounts replacement.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Engine mount replacement
Hello David,
Engine removal is not necessary. A good experienced technician can breezethrough the job in about an hour. That's with experience and the righttools and no unexpected difficulties.
Plan to spend three or four hours ifyou’re a beginner.There are some important tips and basic tools you'll need. Make sure youhave a 1/2" drive ratchet-handle or breaker bar, a 12" or longer extension(also 1/2" drive), a19mm swivel socket (built in universal) or use a swivel extension. You willneed a 6mm Allen-socket (a socket with a 6mm Allen sticking out the end,3/8" drive is ok for this with extension and handle). You may want to have atraditional 6mm Allen wrench on hand also. If you do not have a lift orhoist then a floor jack and a nice 10" section of board at least 4"wide will work for lifting the engine. Your neighborhood Sears store cansupply you any of these tools at an affordable price.(1) Step number one make sure you have the correct parts. If you are usingthe original round style there is a right and a left.
Pay attention to thepart number and be sure to install on the correct side.
My edition C dealerparts book gives # 127-223-12-04 as left and 127-223-11-04 as right. Thesenumbers have probably changed. Kits were also available with some of thehardware and other minor parts. Kit # 110-586-02-22, I do not know if it isstill supplied or if the number has changed.
Maybe one of our other listerscan help us here.
Plan on removing and unhooking one side at a time. If you unfasten both sides installation and alignment becomes more difficult. First unbolt the large 19mm bolt in the top of the mount on one side. If you do not have a hoist using the floor jack with board will work nicely. Position the wood board on the bottom of the engine sub pan so that the jack does not damage the pan. Make sure that the jack and board are positioned to the left or right so that you lift one side of the engine at a time. Be gentle, take it slow and raise the engine on the side you’re working. You should be able to get about an inch or so above the old mount.Next spend a little time cleaning out the grease and grit from the sockets of two Allen bolt heads.If the heads of these allen bolts strip then the project becomes much more difficult, so spend some time cleaning them out and do not be tempted to use anything but a good grade Allen tool. Now remove both 6mm Allen bolts. If an Allen bolt head begins to strip, take a heavy drift or punch and smack it.The shock will loosen up the rusted threads. After both 6mm allens are removed, the mount can be lifted out. If your old mount still has the torque plate attached, remove it and install it on the new mount. Install the new mount by first installing one of the 6mm bolts (install the most difficult to reach first), Lower the engine and then install the 19mm bolt. Lastly align and install the last 6mm Allen bolt.
Move the jack and board to the other side of the pan and repeat the process.
Note:- the later Mercedes 108 series square style sedan mounts fitand seem to work fine. They are a later design, are universal (both the same, no left or right), the torque plates do not seem to be necessary.
They bolt up and installation is exactly the same.
The V-8 series 108 mounts are heavier duty and may be more suitable for competition in the 113 series possibly? They seem to be stronger and last longer also. They may be less expensive and easier to come by? I've done this change many times and it seems to work fine. This is just another option to consider. The part numberfor the 108 series 6 Cyl. Sedan was 108-223-01-12 (both sides) or the 108 8cyl sedans (280-SE 4.5) #116-223-01-12 (both sides). Maybe some of you have experimented with these also? Comments?
Joe Alexander

If my memory works this late in the day, I think the correct current MB number is 110-220-02-17 for themount kit (complete with both mounts and newhardware). If you want genuine mounts at MB wholesale,call me in CA at 800 252-6877 ext 306. I'm at a dealer and many of the guys here know me well.
Tom Hanson

be careful when changing the transmission mount. The new mount will probably change the position of your linkage, as the worn out mount was flatter than the new one. An adjustment will be needed to compensate for the difference. orm300ce
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 11:20:18 »
Thanks guys, as usual this forum proves to be an excellent resource!

-Wayne

wayne gaudette