Author Topic: what do you like to do with your pagoda?  (Read 6611 times)

peterm

what do you like to do with your pagoda?
« on: September 13, 2011, 22:27:44 »
Just back froma little jaunt over to the local Starbux for a little "date"  I really enjoy just tooling around like that and looking at the car from across the street appreciating the lines etc.

I do enjoy the comraderie of car shows but when the flavor of a mixed show is american muscle I tend to lose interest quickly.  I do find even the MB only show can get tedious at times unless RichardM or DougK are there to talk with and compare notes.  I always learn something from them.

Rallyes dont do anything for me and I have very significant time constraints to work with- life gets in the way of living at times.

BTW I find 9-11 a very sad time as a New Yorker though the growth of the new tower brings hope but never closure- too many lives close to me severely affected

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Re: what do you like to do with your pagoda?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 23:36:54 »
Drive it as much as possible w/ the top down.  Whether scenic roads in the burbs or running errands here in the city.    I always feel better after zipping around in tha pagoda. ;D
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 00:17:34 »
drive it like I stole it...

drop it into first and just let her go....
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 00:25:56 »
Hi Peter:

Been a while since we've parked side by side...hope to see you soon.

I took the Beige Beauty in for a Top End job a few months ago...new valve guides, valves ground, and more.

Started the season with a few local shows...more to have a place to clean the car and tighten the nuts and bolts...as you know, I don't have the luxury of a garage.

The engine work gave me the confidence to take the "long" drive to PUB in Ohio.

The 500 plus mile drive (the furthest I've ever driven) was uneventful. PUB was great for me and for the car.

Since Ohio, I'm no longer concerned about driving distances...I'll take the Pagoda just about anywhere if the event is worthy.

A few weeks ago, I drove up to the Dutchess County Fair...a chance for a city kid like me to see cow.

Then I was off to join a Mercedes tour of the historic Covered Bridges of Pennsylvania. A very nice day driving though the rolling hills of Pennsylvania Amish country.

If no shows are on the calendar, I might drive up to West Point or elsewhere along the Hudson Valley...or maybe head East to the North Shore of Long Island's Gold Coast following in the footsteps of the Great Gatsby...maybe drop in to Teddy Roosevelt's home in Oyster Bay..or maybe look for some of the Pagodas that call Southampton home.

Not sure yet, but later this year I might head for some of Tom Sargeant's famous Chilli at his annual gathering in Alexandria, Virginia...it's only 250 miles.

This Sunday (Sep 18, 2011) I'll be going to the annual car show in Great Neck to join some other Mercedes to form  a circle of elegance among the American Metal sure to be there...maybe you'll be able to join us.

The next Sunday (Sep 25) is the Legends of the Autobahn at Westbury Gardens with its magnificent mansion and greenery...that will be joint show with BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes.

Peter, please start your engine...there's a lot to do out there if you head on down the road...and, of course, with the top down.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:33:53 »
I seem to recall meeting you once at west Point. You asked me if I could tell where your front fenders had been repaired. I said, '' Yeah, they all rust just behind the head lights.'' You seemed at bit surprised that I guessed correctly.

I wasn't driving a pagoda at the time and had a 190SL with me. Although I've owned a pair of 113's since 1988 I never actually drove any of them until I bought my current car in 1993 which was a couple years after I saw you at West Point.

What do I do with my Pagoda? I look at all the things I need to fix, get in and drive, then forget all about it after that.

1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:02:40 »
Ok let me see, did the Europeon Tour last September went to Holland via France and Belgium in May
did a whole load of shows/meets (even won a 'best in class' at one) went to Mercedes SL weekend at
Berkely castle. All in all 6000 miles September '10 to September '11. Going to Italy via France next May
hope to do the next European Tour plus a whole bunch of shows/meets again. Life's good in a Pagoda
especially with the top down ;D (and of course you meet the nicest people in a Pagoda ;))
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:51:43 »
Dr. Benz:

Yes, we did meet at West Point at a 190SL gathering. You were parking every 190 in a semi-circle precise to the half-inch. You let me park my 1971 Havana Brown Pagoda off to the side so as not to disturb the "look" of the perfect 190SL horseshoe arrangement.

It was at that meeting that I asked Jim Villers if he thought Pagoda owners could ever get as organized as the 190 SL owners. He was not too optimistic,saying it would be like "herding cats."

The 190SL event was also the inspiration for the Pagoda West Point show and lunch that I organized a few years later. That show is still the talk of those who were there.

In a way, meeting you and Jim was the inspiration for me working with the cadre of people who eventually created this Pagoda Group. I thought, if the 190's can do it, so can we...and we did it.

Regards,

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 14:24:24 »
Drive it long distance top down through spectacular sceneries on a warm summer evening and into the night where the instrument lights would glow warmly (if only the rheostat hadn't given up on me), maybe smoke a forbidden cigarette and end up at some friends or relatives that would be waiting with nice food and cold beer (or Champagne depending on the occasion). Or with the hard top on and the heater on max with the cold autumn rain drumming on the roof - the latter scenario being far more likely at the moment....
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 14:56:11 »
 My wife and I also enjoy taking our car out in the warm evenings for sunset drives. Also we usually always stop at drive through McDonalds for a couple of Senior Coffees:-) Always get some nice comments at the pick up window. No freeway drives just miles and miles of back country roads.
  Ulf, we were in your country (Aarhus and Copenhagen) a few days ago. Beautiful weather (except for a tremendous thunderstorm while we were at Tivoli and almost drowned). Beautiful countryside to drive a Pagoda north of Aarhus.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 14:57:01 »
Get up early in the morning...coffee travel mug in hand...ball cap on...top down...fog lights on...iPod tuned to chill...drive the 280SL through the morning mist in the country as the sun is coming up. Extremely relaxing. Great think time. Love to look at the dash lights, the lines of the hood and the curves that come back from the headlights.
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 16:11:59 »
Dr. Benz:

Yes, we did meet at West Point at a 190SL gathering. You were parking every 190 in a semi-circle precise to the half-inch. You let me park my 1971 Havana Brown Pagoda off to the side so as not to disturb the "look" of the perfect 190SL horseshoe arrangement.

It was at that meeting that I asked Jim Villers if he thought Pagoda owners could ever get as organized as the 190 SL owners. He was not too optimistic,saying it would be like "herding cats."

The 190SL event was also the inspiration for the Pagoda West Point show and lunch that I organized a few years later. That show is still the talk of those who were there.

In a way, meeting you and Jim was the inspiration for me working with the cadre of people who eventually created this Pagoda Group. I thought, if the 190's can do it, so can we...and we did it.

Regards,

Richard M, NYC

I remember that quite well. I also had a 280SL the same colour that was eventually sold and painted silver. I took his old car as a trade and cut it in half to sell the front clip. The hatch cover went to someone on the site who was needing some parts to convert a California coupe. Not much left of the car after that.

Jim doesn't share my optimisim.  :)  I own several cats and you'd be surprised how quickly they can be trained. Shake the cat food dish and they herd up just fine.  ;)
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

peterm

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 17:15:44 »
the last long trip i did was to the NE concours up at Stratton two years ago.  We happen to own one of teh condos overlooking the show so it was with great interest that we went and didnt have to pay for a hotel! 

On the way back somewhere along 91 the alternator light went on then the temp gauge started to rise in traffic on 95- both were cured by revving the engine while stopped or slowed.  Needless to say it was nerve-racking at best no more long trips for me thanks.  Prior to the trip I thought my car was well sorted out.

i do remember pagoda fest at west point and how expensive it was-  i drove in Doug Kim introduced himself and said "i was watching you drive up and looking at your front end- you need new king pins"  that was 1200$ or so.  Yes richard Im still talking about it!

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 20:29:09 »
What I like to do most is drive it - highways, byways, backways, winding roads, city traffic: so long as I am driving I am happy. After that, I like to tinker and do the normal maintenance. And I can never resist looking back after I park it somewhere.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II