Author Topic: Fantastic Assistance from MBUSA  (Read 4687 times)

Gary Crutchley

• Regular
  • Australia, Victoria, Blackburn North
Fantastic Assistance from MBUSA
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:57:14 »
I took delivery of my 1965 230SL in January this year and whilst it is superficially in good condition it will be a work in progress over the next few years.  It's an Austalian delivered car (delivered to the first owner in Sydney) but is now enjoying the sights and great roads of Melbourne. One vital piece of paper that I didn’t receive (probably lost over the decades) was the data card.

I emailed MBUSA and within 36 hours had a data card with a full explanation emailed back to me!  This was way above and beyond the level of service I could ever have hoped for and it was free!  I now feel some the missing links have been completed.  Many thanks to Paul at MBUSA – he obviously has a love of our cars and a desire/passion to see that they continue to be cherished by ourselves.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 18:02:07 by 280SL71 »

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: Fantastic Assitance from MBUSA
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:28:00 »
That was indeed very nice service considering that you are located on the other side of the planet.

To show what the MB Classic Center in California is able to do, some years ago, I asked for a Data Card and had the faxed copy with translation in 15 minutes.

I think we should all be thankful that Mercedes honors its heritage and takes care of the "Oldtimers" as the Germans call them.

When I owned a 1966 Mustang, I had to deal with Ford.  Ford sold all its vintage Mustang parts to a private dealer some years ago who immediately jacked up all the prices...and decades ago, Ford destroyed the records of the Data Cards for all pre-1970 vehicles. So you cannot get parts or data from Ford for a Vintage Mustang. Instead of honoring the its past, Ford seems to have destroyed it.

Thank you Mercedes.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:28:24 »
It's things like that, that separates brands like Mercedes from lesser ones, a pride in the heritage, great service that spans across the decades :-)
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 17:09:13 »
Try doing this with Porsche.  For $100 you'll get a "Certificate of Authenticity" which in many cases bears little resemblence to how the car was actually manufactured.  Too bad, because Porsche still has the original Kardex files which are accurate, but they will not release them for some undisclosed reason.  M-B is far ahead on this one!

Jim Donati

Re: Fantastic Assistance from MBUSA
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 02:25:07 »
within 36 hours had a data card with a full explanation emailed back to me

Do they send you a hard copy of the data card similiar to the size and style of the original, or do they only supply  you with a  8.5 x 11 version of the data?

Jim

Gary Crutchley

• Regular
  • Australia, Victoria, Blackburn North
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:47:49 »
I agree with all your comments.  Interesting comments about Porsche and Ford.  Prior to the Pagoda I had a '66 Porsche 912. Melbourne Porsche were able to provide me with all the deatils of the car as it was delivered but that may have been because it was a Melbourne delivered car.

Jim, they actually emailed me a PDF of the data card which I'll either print and laminate or print onto a suitable card stock.

regards, Gary

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 17:50:12 »
I might be calling the wrong number. I called MBUSA and got the runaround. Can you send me the telephone number and extension?
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 19:12:59 »
I might be calling the wrong number. I called MBUSA and got the runaround. Can you send me the telephone number and extension?

Call the Classic Center:
Mercedes-Benz Classic Center
http://www.mercedes-benz-classic.com/content/classic/mpc/mpc_classic_website/en/mpc_home/mbc/home/classic/classic_center_usa.html
9 Whatney, Irvine, California 92618
Tel: (949) 598-4850
Toll Free: 1-866-MB-CLASSIC
(1-866-622-5277)

Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 20:57:28 »
 My recent experience with the Classic Centre has been positive PLUS!

I am undertaking a major smash repair, needing numerous parts. Woody at the Classic Centre could not have been more helpful - even to the extent of when we were a little unsure of a part number, he ordering a it from Germany and took photos of it when it arrived and sent them to me just to make sure.

Can you get parts cheaper elsewhere - on many occassions yes HOWEVER if you want the correct part - Woody and the Classic Centre are the go.

Cheers
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)