Author Topic: ebay SL with 16K on odometer  (Read 5437 times)

Douglas

ebay SL with 16K on odometer
« on: May 26, 2004, 10:39:44 »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6338&item=2479924309&rd=1

Should a US-spec car with a VIN this late (#15191) have an early screw-on type oil filler cap?

Thanks for any insight out there.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260

A Dalton

Re: ebay SL with 16K on odometer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 11:19:42 »
I would think so..
 The Aug,'70 production changes [which the oil cap was part of] would be serial #'s in the 20K area..

n/a

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 11:39:51 »
I was a little concerned about a few things, first was the statement that "This car's engine has been updated to run on today's unleaded gasoline" does this mean the top end was taken apart and hardened valve seats installed?  I'm fairly certain that all the 113's were factory prepared to run on unleaded fuel.

Also, the condition of the engine (valve cover, misc clamps, brake fluid resevoir, fuel inj lines) show like a car with more miles.

-Lewis

66 230 sl 113042-10-016238
67 saab sonett II #43 of 258
00 saab 9-3 viggen conv
02 saab 9-5 aero

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 11:57:43 »
Suspicions aside, it looks darn nice to me for that reserve level. If they get it at 23-24, it "seems" like a good find. Any one agree? (besides the highest bidder)...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

n/a

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:14:26 »
I agree it looks like a very nice car at its current price....I'm a bit concerned about the plastic locking gas cap, the front turnsignal on the drivers side looks very dark compared to the passengers side, and the one photo of the undercarriage only shows the gas tank.  I'd be a bit concerned about rust...and I'd want to have a knowledgable party look at it before paying $25m for the car.

One last thing, I thought a very similar car with similar story was on ebay a few months back, similar low mileage, similar location.  Just curious.

-Lewis

66 230 sl 113042-10-016238
67 saab sonett II #43 of 258
00 saab 9-3 viggen conv
02 saab 9-5 aero

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 12:48:38 »
-The trim behind the rear wheels is installed at the wrong angle. Makes me suspicious of rust repair back there.

-There's overspray on the crossmember under the hood. (Yet they said in an e-mail that it's never been re-painted under the hood.)

-Ill-fitting hood or possibly nose panel at front left corner

-The front side markers are installed way too high (new fenders?)

-No decent engine bay pix (yet they said in an e-mail that the engine bay was recently "detailed")

-No decent undercarriage pix. Only the gas tank.

-Oddball radio from -- I'm guessing -- a VW.

Stuff like that raises flags to me. I think white is the most forgiving color out there for digital pix. I'd be very careful about a car like this. You really have to see it first.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 13:00:31 by Douglas »

n/a

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 14:58:35 »
I agree..would be also suspicious about 3/4 things among a few...
The chromes are redone...if your car is really cared for and has only 15k miles, why would you need rechrome??
And why are heating levers broken....and not replaced...if all in the dash works well...huh????
and How can a 15k miles car have cracks on the seats....??
also noticed the fuel tank cap is not original...

Fabrice
Silver 1971 280 SL
New York City

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 01:39:10 »
Hi Guys,

Here's my 2 cents as an eBay buyer of my 1968 280SL.  I had a wonderful experience buying my Carling for $15,900 (yeah! read all about it in the next issue of Pagoda World).  I got a car worth much more than that figure.

I would be veeeery wary of this one; the pix are all glamour shots, the heating levers are a nightmare to replace (and expensive).  The unleaded comments are really a puzzlement!  Also, why would you repaint an original on a whim???  I agree with Fabrice's comment on the chrome/seat tears and Douglas' comment on the bumpers.  I'd go further: it looks like it could have been rear-ended, accounting for the funny bumper alignment.

Other concerns:  Even if it's been a BC car all its life, there is still danger of substantial rust, esp the sills and boot (that's the only place where I had rust, but it was professionally sorted).  My seller had almost 3000 eBay transactions, and when I called him he answered all my questions honestly.  It's what they don't say in these ads that causes concern.  Plus the seller has only 10 transactions of feedback, although it does appear he has sold other cars without problems.  I get nervous when people can't even spell their equipment (Blaupunkt), however I have to say that I took a deep breath when my seller didn't know the nickname of his car was Pagoda... but it turned out that that was a huge plus.

If any one of these things we are worried about are true, you are looking at substantial repair, bringing your true cost (plus shipping) to upwards of $30K, maybe more.  Seems a lot to risk...

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal/bl leather, auto
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Douglas

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 03:41:12 »
I think this car is probably not a genuine 16K car, but I do think it's worth pointing out that it's possible for chrome and leather to go bad over 34 years without proper upkeep even on a genuine 16K car.

Humidity ruins chrome over time and leather will get dry and brittle to the point of cracking without proper lubrication. Even paint from that era can go bad over time regardless of how it's stored.

All of this begs a simple question: What is the benefit to purchasing a supposedly low-mileage car if it has been re-painted and re-chromed throughout?

I think the premium given to cars with lower miles is based on the understanding that the car is relatively unaltered/unworn/original.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 05:39:44 by Douglas »

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 04:59:07 »
Douglas,

Maybe THAT's why they don't show engine shots ;) .  If the outside was that ill-cared for, just think of the insides.

They really forgot that extra 0 to the mileage...

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal/bl leather, auto
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

n/a

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 12:24:26 »
I totally agree with you Doug. Here is the point we all agree, How can such a low mileage car show such discrepency between the exterior and the interior. But I have seen cars from the 60's not particularly taken care of (and with significantly more miles) have leather in ok condition, dry, no big cracks.
for the chrome to go bad to the point to need be redone, you really need to have your car sleep outside quite a lot!!! and they pretend the car was in their showroom...

Fabrice
Silver 1971 280 SL
New York City

n/a

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 14:17:22 »
Also check the trim under the door it is a single piece when there should be 2

howard kramer
71280sl
387/255