Author Topic: New Pagoda Book  (Read 6102 times)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
New Pagoda Book
« on: October 16, 2011, 19:58:11 »
Hi all,

Bob Geco has mentioned this before but could not find his post.

Anybody got one yet?

http://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Benz-W113-1963-1971-Brian-Long/dp/1845843045/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318794609&sr=1-2

Naj
68 280SL

ricrose

Re: New Pagoda Book
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 20:42:00 »
Hi Naj

Got one last week - ordered it ex-UK through abebooks.com. I have only scanned through it, but it really gooks good. Plenty of period photos, both of the Pagoda as well as a few of the 300/190. Interesting info on Mercedes and the people and reasons behind the decisions made at the time. As I said - I have only just scanned it so far

Richard

hank sound

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 01:26:15 »
Hi Naj,

Thanks so much for posting that info re the book:)   I just ordered mine from Amazon - they had just three left so I jumped on it !!

Thanks again,

Hank

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 23:18:20 »
Mine on its way  ;D
Thank you, Naj

;)
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:23:04 »
Mine should be here soon ;D
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 16:52:37 »
Now that we know who has purchased the book, the rest of us expect at least a few of you to also post a detailed review of the book itself.  :)
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 18:15:19 »
It came today, this is a quality book.
Supposed to be a Christmas present but I can't wait to read it. :-[
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

ricrose

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 01:42:50 »
Although I haven't read the whole book yet, I will give a chapter overview so you can judge if it's what you need.

Mercedes-Benz SL W113 Series. 1963 to 1971. Written by Brian Long - 208 pages - a hardcover with dust jacket. Published by Veloce. 10" square.

There are 8 chapters and then 5 appendixes (What is the plural of appendix? Perhaps appendii).

Chapter 1 - The three-pointed Star (13 pages) - History of Mercedes Benz. Good black and white photos from the Benz archives, including production line.

Chapter 2 - The SL - born on the track (13 pages) - fantastic detail on the cars, company and people with excellent black and white photos.

Chapter 3 - The 300sl & 190sl (30 pages) - a lot of this has obviously been written about before, but this is VERY well done with superb photos. It just makes you want to empty your wallet! There is a particuarly good full page black and white of a 190sl getting a bit of bonnet up attention in Australia.

Chapter 4 - Birth of the W113 'Pagoda' series (31 pages). The full story of the design and people supported by GREAT factory photos - ideal for getting the detail correct. Also the debut in Geneva, all the literature reproduced and the Spa-Sofia-Liege rally success.

Chapter 5 - The 230sl evolves (40 pages). All the literature, factory photos, stories and full specifications, including colour, upholstery and carpet codes (and the dates introduced). Details on the luggage, racks and all other accessories. There is also detail on the second Belgian rally. Excellent photos and coverage of the Pinifarina sl. A GREAT chapter full of important detail.

Chapter 6 - The 250sl (20 pages). Detail of the new powertrain - photos and cutaways, as well as details from the owner's manuals, adverts and factory photos.

Chapter 7 - End of the line. (28 pages) The 280sl explained in detail. Again excellent factory photos, cutaways and literature illustrate the development, export and domestic markets.

Chapter 8 - An SL for the 70's (10 pages). The development and realisation of the Pagoda replacement - the 107 - again a very well illustrated and well written chapter.

Finally the 5 Appendixes (?)
1 - Year by year range details
2 - Engine specification
3 - Colour and trim summary
4 - Option codes
5 - Chassis numbers and production figures.

As I said in the beginning I have not read the whole book yet - but my initial impression is A MUST HAVE for the pagoda library.

Hope that helps

Richard

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 19:49:44 »
Octane magazine suggested that chapters 1-3 were a bit of "filler" but thought it very good

I've asked father christmas for it. So please don't clear them all out of Amazon before some kind family member remembers on Dec 22nd that they've not got me a gift
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 18:29:45 »
Arrived yesterday, my wife swiped it from me before I could unwrap it, to be given to me at Christmas time by my mother in law!
Great!!  >:(
K :(

Mine on its way  ;D
Thank you, Naj

;)
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

hank sound

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 00:34:27 »
 ;D

I just got mine - and it's now in the "upstairs library" ;D   There's lots of informative reading regarding history, facts and great eye candy as well !

Cheers, Hank