Author Topic: Is it important to keep the original colour when restoring?  (Read 5577 times)

gnicolas_63

Hi, here's my dilema. I'm restoring a 71 280 SL origanally ( Dark Olive). I started by replacing floor panels from K&K Mfg., now I'm at the point in sourcing a body shop to respray the car over winter. The car was rough when I purchased it, and my intention is to make it a driver or better...The original colour is Dark Olive with Black canvas top, and cognac interior. I've seen SL's in silver and they look great, and most of the blue shades as well, I'm even considering Black as an alternative, they seem to be rare.

G Nicolas

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Is it important to keep the original colour when restoring?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:02:13 »
There has been a fair amount written on the forum about the change of color. Some of it comes to what you intend to do with the car, and if you are working towards a nice driver; paint it the color you like. It is your car after all. You can most likely find a color that is from the period that will match what you are looking for. I would not fret a whole lot over this.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

hank sound

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 01:08:08 »
Hi, here's my dilema. I'm restoring a 71 280 SL origanally ( Dark Olive). I started by replacing floor panels from K&K Mfg., now I'm at the point in sourcing a body shop to respray the car over winter. The car was rough when I purchased it, and my intention is to make it a driver or better...The original colour is Dark Olive with Black canvas top, and cognac interior. I've seen SL's in silver and they look great, and most of the blue shades as well, I'm even considering Black as an alternative, they seem to be rare.

G Nicolas

Hi G, ------ since you've posted the fact that you're unsure of what color to paint your 280, may I respectfully post my thoughts in response........    First off, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".   You own the car and - are the beholder (with the final word :)     The color you choose must make you happy.  That said,  me, I'd stay with the dark olive, as I see it being extremely rich and elegant.    Also, it can look almost black depending on the condition of the sky above, while, on a clear day, it would pick up the blue hue from above.   What the hey - - it even matches your original paint code :)

Here's to you being extremely happy with a beautiful paint job, no matter what color you choose.......

Hank

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:14:14 »
Agreed, just pick any 113 color you like...and post pics..
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:18:54 »
I am not at all biased, well may be a bit ;D

Dark Olive is not a bad colour if you want to be classed as a greenie
Then again if you want red!!!!

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 12:09:26 »
The car was rough when I purchased it, and my intention is to make it a driver or better.

This quote really supplies the answer to your question.  Unless you have spent huge sums of money to correct the "rough," you will never have an exceptionally high value car as compared with original examples, so the color question has become moot.  That being said, make yourself happy with its "driver" status and paint it whatever color you like.

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:13 »
There is one more side to this.
There are some people that get enjoyment in knowing their car is the same color as it left the factory, even if it is a driver as opposed to a show car.
I am one of those.  ;)
So, you have to decide. It is a personal decision. What will give you the most enjoyment?
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

KevinC

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 22:06:15 »
I noted the term "re-spray' in your initial post. Keep in mind that a colo(u)r change will require the engine compartment, dash board and underside of the hood to be changed as well.

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 22:10:55 »
Again, it is a personal decision. But at some time down the road, a prospective buyer may feel that if you didn't keep the color original there may be other "originality" shortcuts.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

Drewtee

• Silver
  • England, Kent, Sevenoaks
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 07:46:12 »
Of course not if you do not like the original colour  ::)

But your lucky, for me that orginal colour you have is one of the best on a Pagoda.

Two years ago i walked around Essen in Germany and saw many beautifully restored Pagodas,  it's a good opportunity to see immaculate cars in many colour combos.

The last Pagoda i came across was my favourite and it's in your colour combo- One word - Stunning- There are PLENTY of silver cars out there.
Andy Tee

Rhd 5 speed 728h with parchment interior
White Californian 280sl LHD
W111 3.5 Cab and Coupe both RHD

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 10:24:54 »
Olive Green is a really classy colour in my opinion, especially with cognac, beige or tan interior. Besides, if you stick to this colour, you might save a few dollars on the respray as you won't have to take the car totally apart for it if the paint in engine compartment, on dashboard and in door gaps etc. is good as it is.
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper