Author Topic: Quiz  (Read 15553 times)

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
Re: Quiz
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 18:18:35 »
Hi All,

I think I can claim the prize for "worst case of cam scuffing". The ball stud adjuster under this lobe had NO turning resistance. It just kept walking up the thread , thereby  eliminating the any clearance. I guess you could say it was "self adjusting". YUK YUK

Larry in CA
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  (restored) Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TD-T (Concours condition, 86K, GETRAG 5sp.)
1982  300TD-T (parted out)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 Cabriolet

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 19:34:40 »
Benz Dr. has it, well done! As for the comments about the photo quality, perhaps your comments would be more beneficial on a photograper's forum rather than a forum dedicated to the 113.
I make my living out of maintaining Mercedes cars and I certainly do not have any need to pass on my experience FOC.
Once we adjusted the valve clearances the engine performed markedly better.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 19:53:17 »
Benz Dr. has it, well done! As for the comments about the photo quality, perhaps your comments would be more beneficial on a photograper's forum rather than a forum dedicated to the 113.
I make my living out of maintaining Mercedes cars and I certainly do not have any need to pass on my experience FOC.

Stick, you posted a photo measuring 648 x 480, at about 50 k in size!  Compare your photo to Lurtchs.  Only someone like yourself, or Dan Caron, could see enough detail there to pass the quiz.  I clicked on Lurtch's and the photo filled my screen with a lot of enlarged detail.

If you are using visuals, they should be of greater detail, that's all.  If you want help, plenty of people will help.  Including me.  FOC.  :)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2011, 06:51:39 »
If you go back to the start of thread you will see that I had difficulty from the outset and not much help was forthcoming from the outset.
Given this I was rather satisfied with myself. I've had no problems uploading pictures on any other forum.
My aim was to illustrate how to spot a problem that might otherwise go unnoticed. This solely for the benefit of others.
I suggest that I was successful in achieving that aim thanks to Dan and his ability to see the detail in the photos that others couldn't.

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 08:25:02 »
Dear Stick,
I enjoyed your quiz and though I could not work it out I learned something.
Of course your photo was perfectly adequate to determine what was wrong.
Dave
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 15:29:58 »
Go back to what I said, '' The picture only has to show you what you need to see. ''

I had to study it for a while before I saw it but I knew it would be in plain sight. I expected the problem to be clearly shown in the picture even if the picture wasn't clear.

I have a 190SL that came in a while ago and we installed the engine that was already rebuilt. The owner of the car assured me that it was done by an expert and that it would be OK. So we installed the engine and I took the owners info at face value.

Well......... the engine made a lot of noise. I removed the valve cover to check the valve timing. Cam was advanced one tooth. OK, that's the problem. We fix that and I expected it to be quiet after this fix. It was still making noise - a kind of knocking sound but diffrent than valve rockers. Similar, but not as sharp. It didn't sound like piston slap or a rod knock. But it was loud.

So we removed the head and I could see where the valves had hit the pistons. Just barely a mark on them. This made no sense at all. When valves hit pistons it's REALLY LOUD! Kind of like two coffee pots hitting each other. OK, the noise wasn't in the head.

I decided to pull the whole engine. After we had it out and the oil pan removed, we removed the pistons. Two connecting rod bearings were scuffed and two were perfect. The pistons were new and undamaged. Piston clearance was perfecft and the pin bushings were tight. All of the rod and main bearings were the correct sizes and the clearance was correct.

When we removed the crank shaft what do you think we found? 

1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 15:47:25 »
Go back to what I said, '' The picture only has to show you what you need to see. ''

I had to study it for a while before I saw it but I knew it would be in plain sight. I expected the problem to be clearly shown in the picture even if the picture wasn't clear.    

I understand what you're saying and agree.  However, you are a professional and to your credit, you saw the problem regardless of the picture quality,even you had to study it.  I'm fairly confident in saying the most of us are not professionals, and I, for one, STILL don't know what I'm looking at or what you see.  But, I'd like to so I can learn.  Any help like, count X lobes from the right, look at the X irregularity, color, etc.  Better yet, and I know you're not computer savvy, it'd be nice if someone would use circles and or arrows in PAINT to show the problem.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 19:35:34 »
All good points John, which brings me to another point. Everyone wants pictures today. If you offer a spark plug for sale they want a picture of it.

Even with a picture, not everyone will see things that are hiding in clear view. I the case of said picture of the cam shaft, I knew the problem was going to be on the cam because that's what the picture is showing you - a cam shaft. The problem cam lobe in the picture is the fourth one from the end of the cam shaft. This is the lobe that runs the intake valve on number 5 cylinder. I guess someone could go back and circle the place on the picture where they want everyone to look.
If it was not pointed out that something was wrong in the picture I doubt very much I would have seen it. If I was working on the car myself I would have seen it because I look for things like that. I would have caught it during the valve lash adjustments anyway. It takes years of expirience to spot little things like this, this one being one of many to look for.

I guess without pictures no one will figure out what was wrong with the 190SL engine. In this case, the main bearings were installed upside down. The hole from the main oil galley was completely blocked off so that number 1 and number 3 main bearing wasn't getting any oil pressure. The center thrust bearing was OK because was installed properly and number 2 and number 3 rod bearings were also OK because they were getting oil pressure fed through the crank shaft. Number 1 and number 4 connecting rod bearings were damaged because no oil was flowing through the crank from the blocked main bearings.

Had I drove this car, it would have siezed up with a lot more damage than scuffed bearings. Figuring out what went wrong is all part of the repair.   
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Neil Thompson

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Louth
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2011, 21:50:41 »
Good effort I thought, educational too. Photo downloads were better than my efforts as well, well done - averaging 120 viewings a day with approx 40 members a day logging looks good too, any criticism unnecessary. Let's have another!

Neil
1964 230 SL RHD DB304 Horizon Blue
1957 190 SL RHD DB180 Silver
1988 R107 300 SL RHD DB199 Blue Black
1978 C123 230C 2dr Auto RHD Silver