Author Topic: Becker radio knob, early style  (Read 5342 times)

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
Becker radio knob, early style
« on: February 07, 2012, 02:48:13 »

I have the early style radio knobs, and these have set screws.  I do not know if the original knobs came with set screws, or were just push on.  However, I lost one of the set screws, and I think it is about 2mm.  Does anyone know where I can get one, or have a spare knob or two to sell me?  Thanks in advance.  Ron
1966 230SL, euro

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: Becker radio knob, early style
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 09:58:33 »
Ron:

I've had two original Becker radios and both had tiny screws in the knobs.

Whenever I've needed a part or service on a radio, I called the Becker people in New Jersey. I suspect they have everything.

www.beckerautosound.com

Richard M, NYC

Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:40:14 »
Note that Becker radio knobs use more than one size and one length set screw.  There are two diameters and two lengths to be best of my knowledge.  I agree that Becker Autosound will probably be able to help you.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 02:45:17 »

I'll call Becker US, but several years ago they had none.  I purchased my two from a person in Germany, who makes new ones.  It is from one of those that the set screw fell out while I had the radio removed, while working on the heater.  I have a 2mm phillips head screw holding it on now, but the head sticks out of course.  I tried to cut the head off one of these and cut a slot in the tiny shaft part, but I'm too ham fisted to make that work.  Ron

1966 230SL, euro

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 11:39:25 »
Just to clarify the Becker situation.

A few years ago Becker closed down its USA repair facility in New Jersey. The two guys that ran it bought the stock and made an agreement with Becker that they would be independent but act as Becker's repair center for the US.

It may be that parts are available now that were short before since the two managers have a personal stake in being able to satisfy customers.  Worth a try to see if they have the parts or know where to get them.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:46:33 »

Just as a followup, I did find a setscrew.  A machinist friend suggested I take the knob to a hobby shop.  Locally, there's one that sells model cars, boats, and planes which are remote controlled.  The guy at the counter took one look and said it looked like a 3mm set screw.  It was, and now the knob is on the radio and in the car!
1966 230SL, euro

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 00:04:09 »
Here's another great resource to find almost anything in the way of hardware, and they are fast and courteous...............

3mm metric set screws ........... http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=g8ivsm
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback