Author Topic: Windshield Installer in Upper NY or ON  (Read 8838 times)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Windshield Installer in Upper NY or ON
« on: February 15, 2012, 23:40:57 »
I am hoping someone can point me to an experienced windshield installer in upper state NY or in the Toronto, Ontario area.  I have read almost every thread on windshield installation I think and it varies from a piece of cake to install in 10 minutes to trying to move a sitting elephant over half a day.  I don't want to risk screwing this up since I am only going to get one kick at the can and want someone who has done it before to tackle it.  I have the MB weatherstripping as everyone recommends so now I just need to find an installer.  Can anyone help?
Many thanks
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: Windshield Installer in Upper NY or ON
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 23:22:05 »
Just want to keep this alive in case any new members have a look and can help.

On another matter I would like to remove the existing windshield myself so I can get the A pillar chome covers redone.  I have read that you just need to cut the weatherstripping around the windshield and lift it out.  Do I cut it from the outside?  Does the cut just follow the edge of the aluminum strip around the windshield.  Others have done this but I am unsure about cutting inside or outside and exactly where along the weatherstrip?  Is there anything else I need to watch.  Many thanks for any help.
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 13:09:16 »
OK, next question. 

Has anyone used any of the big chains to install their windshield.  I spoke to my insurance company for the car and they recommended Speedy or Apple Auto Glass.  I called Speedy and while they could not say they have specifically done a windshield for my car (a Pagoda), they have done lots for older cars that are installed with weatherstripping and metal surrounds.  He knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the using the rope to help with installation (even though I don't know how this works) and said he has used it himself many times.  Thanks.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

George Des

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 18:53:43 »
I got so frustrated trying to find someone who could honestly say they had done one of these in the past that I read up on it enough that my wife and I went down to the garage, used the cord and installed it ourselves. Most would not come to the house and I could not drive the car to their shop because I had already removed the windshield to do the restoration in my garage. It's not as difficult as you think to do this yourself if you are at all handy with some tools.

George

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 19:24:50 »
Thanks George.  Do you have a picture how the rope is set up?  I can't seem to visualize how it would look, what diameter rope, where does it get wrapped around the windshield and when do you pull it off or remove it?  This would be a good one for the tech manual if anyone had pictures.

Who removed your windshield?  If you did it how and where did you cut?
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Fallbrook
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 23:25:41 »
For many of these 'how-to's' there are youtube videos that can be highly informative. I have not searched for this particular topic but would be surprised if there isn't at least one that visualises in a few minutes what can be almost impossible to write down.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Fallbrook
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 23:36:53 »
Ok, here's one of what seems like many, on a period VW Beetle. Looks easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq_0Qbhjfa8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

George Des

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 00:36:14 »
Marcus,

I cut the windshield out using a standard utility knife. As I recall, I did the cutting from the inside and it was a very easy job to do. Once the windshield is out everything you need to do on the dash becomes really easy. Like tending to the woodwork or chrome trim along the sides and top. I believe the cord instructions are in the BBB. I used a nylon cord that I got at Home Depot. It is a two person job. While one pulls the cord at an angle from the inside to set the lip of the seal, the other puts light pressure from the outside to make sure the window seats. It is an amazing thing to see how it litterally pops into place. Like I said, I tried to find someone to do it because I wasn't sure I could but it worked. Just make sure you set the outside aluminum trim in the groove before you set the window in place--it is a very tight fit and I do not believe you will be able to set it in once the window is in place. Hope this helps.

George

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 00:45:10 »
Thanks Cees and George.  After watching the video a lot of what I have read and what you wrote makes a lot more sense.  Its amazing what photos and videos can show compared to the written (or typed) word.  Imagination is a great thing so I don't want to describe where I thought the rope was suppose to go.  All has become much clearer.   ;D ;D  Many thanks.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

George Des

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 00:45:33 »
The VW video is excellent--that's exactly how I did my 230SL!

George

santropezblueSL

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 12:20:47 »
Hi Jordan, Over the years I have learned how to do this, and most times it is 10 minutes, but sometimes I mess up and it still takes half a day. install the rubber seal to the body without lube, but then be sure to lube the rubber at the glass, and around the glass with lots of heavy soap solution, a thick mix of dish soap and water, applied liberally with a paintbrush. keep a mug of lube close by and re-apply whenever it is too dry.  Cross the string or twine over itself at least 12 inches at the end. start and finish in the middle of the car not at a corner or side.  You can fix minor issues with an old screwdriver (or two) that has all sharp edges removed.  Once the glass is in use hand pressure to seat it to the final position.  If you have a really big problem just get another seal and start again.  I am an hour away if you need help.

Thanks Cees and George.  After watching the video a lot of what I have read and what you wrote makes a lot more sense.  Its amazing what photos and videos can show compared to the written (or typed) word.  Imagination is a great thing so I don't want to describe where I thought the rope was suppose to go.  All has become much clearer.   ;D ;D  Many thanks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 13:54:04 by santropezblueSL »

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 03:51:39 »
....  All has become much clearer.   ;D ;D  Many thanks.
Hi Marcus,
how did it go, is the windshield in?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 11:38:09 »
Alfred, yes the new windshield and rubber are in, but not by my hand.  I spent over an hour trying to get the rubber weatherstripping around the windshield.  Because it is a tight fit it kept wanting to pull away from the lower bottom edges where it curves up (I even used lots of tape to hold it in place).   I eventually took it back off as I had made a bit of a mess with the soap trying to get it on.  I ended up taking it to Speedy of all places.  They had assured me they had done these windshields many times, the last one a 111 cabriolet.  So I made an appointment and drove it in without my old windshield.  Pretty windy without that windshield.  When I dropped it off, including the alluminum surround and weatherstripping, the Speedy tech told me I looked pretty apprehensive.  I sure was as there was about $1000 of my money I was putting into thier hands.  They called me 2 hours later to tell me they were all done and it had gone well.  They said the hardest part was getting the alluminum trim to fit properly.  It cost me $70.  I'll tell you when I saw the new windshield installed without cracks and everything fitting great I would have paid them double I felt so good.

I got my windshield from the classic centre.  Attached is a picture showing the manufacturer, one I have not seen before in my previous searches. 

Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 16:50:03 »
Thanks for the update Marcus,  and especially for the photo of the decal.
AGP .. wow! Are you kind of a celebrity or a politician fearing for his life?   ;) ;D
I had heard about AGP (= American Glass Company) but only as a inventor of bulletproof glass.  It is headquartered in Columbia and dominates that market for military vehicles but its involvement with the VW-Audi group was news to me.
See: http://agpglass.com/en/group.
As you noticed they are obviously now also the supplier for Daimler and I wonder whether this has anything to do with NAFTA.
---
How well did the Speedy tech do the corners in your new windshield?  Noticed any increased wind noise?
Alfred

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 17:44:19 »
Alfred, no I haven't noticed any wind noise.  I have been driving on the highway with both the soft top and hard top, windows up and down, and I haven't heard any noise.  It is a real pleasure to be able to actually see through the windshield now, in all lighting conditions.  ;D
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 22:41:27 »
What kind of windshield did you buy, clear, with a tinted band, or completely tinted?
Alfred

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 00:42:22 »
The original windshield was clear but I opted for the tinted band across the top.  When I saw it installed I felt it looked better than just the clear windshield, especially with the top off and the blue interior.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 01:17:00 »
Sometimes I've had to learn on the fly but I've also learned that you generally save time and money going to experts.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Fallbrook
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 06:42:22 »
Sometimes I've had to learn on the fly

... If at first you don't succeed, sky diving may not be for you ...

So some things I am happy to leave to the experts, particularly critical things!
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II