Author Topic: Who needs new chrome?  (Read 6384 times)

bsimaz

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Who needs new chrome?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 16:05:05 »
That's about as ridiculous as it comes.  I know good chrome, and I don't know who would charge that kind of money for those pieces, nor take 6 months to do it...and this guy wants to sell it on an EXCHANGE basis?  Hey, maybe that guy in Italy who bought Chassis #15 would be interested... ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

peterm

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 17:53:40 »
Mike isnt there a special limited edition signed version of pagoda style you could offer fro a premium?  If you make it sought after they will come!

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 21:13:49 »
Here in the UK I would expect it to cost around £5000 to re-chrome every single piece of chrome on the car, including hard top trims.

IXLR8

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 21:45:52 »
Hi Mike--

Which vendor did you use to rechrome your trim pieces? Are they local in SE Michigan?

Thanks,

the other Joe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 22:51:49 »
Other Joe,

I used three different chrome platers.

1) http://www.gravesplating.com/  Alabama (the big stuff)
2) http://www.blplating.com/  Warren MI (the small stuff)

The third place did the bumper repair; they were in Windsor Ontario (pre 9/11 and when the dollar was good) and they did all the repair to the bumpers and sent the chrome out to a place near Toronto.  Dan Caron could tell you the good platers in Ontario.  I think the bumper place is gone, have not been able to locate them.  They were called "International Bumper Exchange".

Stick, I'd agree with those numbers more or less, depending on what you had, the exact process, etc.  But that group of items is quite far from "every single piece of chrome"...

Good luck to that seller...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 23:13:51 »
Mike,

I've heard good things about Graves Plating!   Is their pricing average?  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 15:20:30 by JPMOSE »
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 13:05:29 »
Mike,
I've heard good things about Graves Plating!   Is there pricing average? 

Graves? I think their quality and service is on par with the best; and commensurately priced.

There are a lot of good chrome platers around; Graves came from my restorer and was a trusted source.  B&L was one local to me that I could bring the parts to, discuss the work, and pick them up.  Many of our friends here have had great luck with other platers in their locale...I'm sure if you find yourself wanting one locally, you could; links below for two of them.  Contact your local MBCA group, or other local car clubs such as the CCCA or VMCA or the like, and ask for recommendations.  If you are looking yourself, ignore the ones that say "hard chrome" since that isn't the decorative chrome we are talking about.

Sometimes the restorers "go with what they know"; ignorant or incompetent platers can damage things.  Interior chrome, for example, can have that texture plugged up.  The large bow pieces on the soft top tonneau, can easily be misshapen in processing...then your in trouble.

http://www.chromeatlanta.com/
http://www.proplating.net/
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 15:38:50 »
Thanks Mike!  It would be worth driving to AL since you have experience with Graves.  I have never heard of the company in Marietta, but will ask my mechanic (Auto Benz in Marietta who also performs minor restoration).  My 250SL has great chrome but the vertical pieces on the windshield pillar have bright marks but no pits (not sure how that happened).  I also have 3-4 pieces for my 280SE 3.5 that have minor pits (but stand back a foot and you don't see them).

I also corrected my poor grammar in my previous note!!!!
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 17:43:50 »

Wow   :o, I ought to be more careful in future with taking care of my chrome, if that what it costs!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 19:25:43 by kemal shah »
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 19:15:34 »
So is the gist of this thread that it should probably cost less than 13K to buy all new chrome -- or that one could beat that number by having most re-chromed, and maybe buying what you have too?
James
63 230SL

hank sound

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 01:04:55 »
 :o This thread really does make me wonder - - if the list price of each and every piece of OEM chrome from front to back, was added together, would the total be 13K?    The aftermarket industry was born due to stuff like this.    Fortunately, I only need "this piece here".    

Well, this is one to watch, if only for excitement value :D

Cheers, Hank