Author Topic: DIVERSION: My Visit to the Good Doctor  (Read 4224 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
DIVERSION: My Visit to the Good Doctor
« on: June 09, 2004, 08:52:30 »
Last Friday I took a trip in my SL to visit the Good Doctor, Dan Caron and his BenzBarn.  That day was beautiful, with 70 degree weather, no humidity, a high-pressure system over the area, and not a cloud in the gorgeous blue skies.   8)  This after nearly 40 days of rain.

I left my home in Novi, Michigan which is just off of "8-Mile Road", that road being made famous in a recent movie.  I passed some interesting commercial buildings on my way to the highway, perhaps you've heard of them.  Mahle, Bosch, Harmon/Becker Automotive Systems, as well as Mercedes Benz of Novi--all these within a short distance from my home!  A short hop on Interstate 275 took me to Interstate 696--which is also known as "The Autobahn".  While I was doing 65-75MPH in the right lane, I was being passed at 85-95MPH by all sorts of vehicles--and that's how 696 got its nickname.  While most of 696 passes through dense area and is fairly new, there are some stretches of the road where I prayed I would not "catch a stone" in my windshield or on my car.  I made it.

The suburban density of 696 led to near rural conditions of Macomb county as it merged with Interstate 94, and I took this to 26 mile road.  An 11 mile straight run East on 26 mile road, past farms and fields, took me to the small hamlet of Marine City, Michigan--which is on the St. Clair River.  For those of you not familar with the Great Lakes, The St. Clair River connects Lake Huron to Lake Erie via Lake St. Clair.  All the freighter traffic and all the water that moves between the lakes passes on this river.

It is quite a short hop and $5 to cross the river on a tiny ferry boat to cross to the even smaller hamlet--in sight--of Sombra, Ontario.  A quick interview by Canadian customs and I was on my way to Dan's.  It is only a few miles to Dan's place from Sombra.  It really is so close to suburban Detroit but a million miles away if you know what I mean...

If you think the BenzBarn is some quaint moniker, you would be wrong.  There are at least two barns--real barns--one of them just recently removed of cattle.  This means the cattle were gone but their smell was not.  The barns of course are full of all kinds of MB stuff.  To say Dan has some acreage would be wrong--I think you would measure it in hectares (whatever the heck those are but I know they are bigger then acres!).  Due to the rain, the fields had not been planted, but Dan's dad was on his way to pick up the soybeans.  The actual work barn had two gorgeous 190's in various states of restoration.  There was also a fabulous 1960 220SE Cabriolet, in reasonable looking condition but in need of someone with some $$$ to really give it its proper due.  Anyone interested should talk to Dan off line.  And Dan's Dad, equally as nice as Dan, put his arm around me and wanted to sell me a late model 300D.

I watched as the rear subframe was forcefully removed [:0] from a late model sedan; it took a tractor and a torch to free it.  This sedan had been Dan's but sadly caught fire last year.  Some other sedan owner will be happy with the parts.  I saw the distributor tester, and all manner of Dan's skill with Bosch distributors.  When I saw all the parts involved, I thought to myself DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.  I also got a ride in a really cool Euro-spec but federalized 500SC(?) which went like a bat out of... :D

Last year at Joe Alexander's place, I had the good fortune of meeting so many of our regular contributors and it was good to meet Dan as well--and a perfect day for this drive into the countryside.   Anytime we can meet each other is a good thing.
When Dan clears out a few items on his current agenda, I'll make the trip again and leave the car there for some fine tuning.  He took a ride in mine (squeezing his 6' plus frame into the driver's seat) and agreed that it could probably use a bit of a checkup.

Did I mention the cats?  There are several really cool Siamese cats around--I'm not a cat person but if I were it would have to be these beauties.  Full of personality, very talkative, and very beautiful.  Anyone knows if you have a barn you have to have cats...Here are some photos.

Download Attachment: On The Ferry.jpg
32.89 KB

Download Attachment: Outside Main Barn.jpg
51.33 KB

Download Attachment: The 220SE.jpg
34.77 KB

Download Attachment: Waiting To Go Home.jpg
12.09 KB

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: DIVERSION: My Visit to the Good Doctor
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 23:09:00 »
Michael - do you have any pictures of Dan and yourself?

Michael is in the following photo:

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 16:22:04 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 09:18:28 »
One good turn deserves another...

Here is a photo of Mike (left) and Cees (right) at Joe Alexander's last year...

No I didn't get any photos of Dan, perhaps next time!

Download Attachment: Mike and Cees.jpg
54.25 KB

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 09:19:55 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 10:20:23 »
People I recognize in the group photo from the tech session at Joe Alexander (almost exactly one year ago today!):

far left: Joe Alexander (the Mercedes Jedi Master) himself trying to sneak out of the picture but unsuccesfully so ;-)

FIRST ROW, kneeling:
Doug Kim (board member from NY and All-Around Good Sport), ?, Tom Sargeant (board member, owner of two beautiful Pagodas, from Virginia), Richard Madison (board member from NY and our all-important Webmeister), Klaus Drexl (former MB of USA executive), Bob Geco (board member from California and our expert on Pagoda care), his lovely wife Shelly, Bruce Peterson, yours truly (...), ?, John Sutter (M100 Group exec and 5-speed 230SL owner, thanks again for the ride to the airport in 2002 John!) Phil Kiefert, and David Pease from California (contributor to the after-midnight Group board meeting in the "Inne" hotel room after the tech session)

SECOND ROW, standing:
?, Bill (last name - one of the most friendly guys I ever met, friend of Joe's who helped al of us keep our act together during the tech session), Dick Mentzer (producer of the magnificent W113 Group's promotional video), ?, ?, ? (friend of David Pease who made the trip out from California with David, computer expert and Porsche afficionado), John Olson (of SL Market Letter fame and a true MB SL authority, treated us to a Mille Miglia slide show), ?, Pagoda, ?, Rodd Masteller (board member of the Group and editor of Pagoda World), Michael Salemi (there, I gave it away), John (last name? Bernardi?), ?, Pete Lesler (another Pagoda icon), James Pancoast (owns an Italian-spec SL, thanks again for the peanuts James!)

If you are in this picture, but I did not recall your name, please send me an email and I will gladly add it to the above list (Bruce Peterson just did).

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 14:00:26 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 11:51:50 »
I suppose it's time for me to say something.....

Mike's car is really very nice and a fine example of the quality work that David Payne is able to do. I met him at a 190SL convention - a really nice guy. He moved to Montana to raise up a crop of dental floss - he's  ''gonna be a dental floss tycoon'' ) Frank Zappa from the LP Over night sensation)

Had a nice visit with Mike and I think I scared him a little in the 500SEC so I backed off under my usual terminal speed. You can just see the back of this car sitting inside of the door. This thing will shift into high gear somewhere around 120 - 130 MPH.

Hope some of you can make it on July 17th for our BBQ ( at my place) during RM restorations 25th aniversary celebrations. Go to www.rmauctions.com  for more info. This will be a VERY worthwhile event and I'd like to see everyone who can make it.

Regards,
Dan Caron

1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 12:10:54 »
Just for the record, as an innocent passenger in a 1969 MGC (that's not MGB, that's MGC!), on December 19, 1975 at 4:05pm, shortly after travelling 110MPH on a straight stretch of State Route 27 in Medfield, Massachusetts, I went through the windshield of said car, face first.  Ouch.  Several operations and plastic surgeries later (and you all wondered why I was so good looking! :D )I went back to a normal life, save for the ability to be a passenger at extremely high speed in the front seat of any vehicle not driven by yours truly...and I still have dead nerves in my face.  Call me funny that way!  No honestly, it is all true, Dan was a great driver, and that 500 was awesome.  Dan didn't scare me, just high speed when a passenger.  When my car goes into Dan, there'll be more pix--as long as they are not looking for him anywhere! ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Benz Dr.

I suppose it's time for me to say something.....

Mike's car is really very nice and a fine example of the quality work that David Payne is able to do. I met him at a 190SL convention - a really nice guy. He moved to Montana to raise up a crop of dental floss - he's  ''gonna be a dental floss tycoon'' ) Frank Zappa from the LP Over night sensation)

Had a nice visit with Mike and I think I scared him a little in the 500SEC so I backed off under my usual terminal speed. You can just see the back of this car sitting inside of the door. This thing will shift into high gear somewhere around 120 - 130 MPH.

Hope some of you can make it on July 17th for our BBQ ( at my place) during RM restorations 25th aniversary celebrations. Go to www.rmauctions.com  for more info. This will be a VERY worthwhile event and I'd like to see everyone who can make it.

Regards,
Dan Caron

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid