Author Topic: roads made for Pagodas  (Read 5582 times)

Douglas

roads made for Pagodas
« on: March 27, 2003, 07:42:38 »
this is an interesting site for anyone who wants to find an enjoyable road:

http://www.greenspun.com/harry/ne0.htm

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: roads made for Pagodas
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 16:02:36 »
Apparently there are road maps (Michelin for Europe for example)that specifically identify particularly scenic routes. One of these days I will look for these maps, because having a nice scenic route to follow on vacation, weekend trip etc makes driving the car that much more fun.
My best vacations ever have been with convertibles in sunny France. Two years ago, my family (wife, me and the two children) and another couple drove the Pagoda and the C180 to the Normandy coast. Driving top-down with the SL to the village bakery early every morning, with my friend and the kids to get fresh croissants, along winding roads in beautiful undulating scenery, with the sun coming up, is what there cars were really meant for.
When I was nineteen (1979) three friends and me drove two Triumph Spitfires all the way down to the French Riviera. This is significant, because (1) I realized the full potential of a convertible car there and (2) I saw a W113 Pagoda SL there for the first time, lady-driver-with-handkerchief and all, and thought to myself: that's it! It only took twenty more years ...
Cees

white 1969 280 SL
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: roads made for Pagodas
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 04:17:57 »
An excellent guide to "top down" roads in the US is the handy "Scenic Highways and Byways", published by the National Geographic Society.
Soft covered, glove box size, full color photos, maps, info about scenery and attractions, 352 pages.

If I actually get to Joe Alexander's Tech Session in June, the book shows that the National Covered Bridge Scenic Highway is just south of the main highway leading to Columbus Ohio and might be worth a slight detour if time is available.

"Oh, let me hear the song of the open road..."
Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).