Author Topic: wind deflector  (Read 18663 times)

athadani

wind deflector
« on: March 29, 2003, 12:42:49 »
Just got a wind deflector from DJS chrome in Germany. Looking at installation, I see that a self adhesive velcro tape goes on the padding on the soft top metal case. Of course this will leave marks and wondered if any one has experience with this and if a wind deflector is really an added comfort.

BTW for German speakers look at
http://www.mercedes-pagode.ch/

Thanks for any advice.

Ashok

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: wind deflector
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 15:41:55 »
Most people who have a wind deflector are very enthusiastic about it, in that it really cuts down on the wind turbulence. Not sure about how the different types attach, but most adhesives can be removed later if need be and should not leave marks?

Personally, I would not install one if you paid me, because I think they look silly and out of place on the car. (But then I also won't roll up my windows when driving topless on the highway, or point my sunvisors upward, because I think that looks silly, too, and I actually like the feeling of all that airflow).

Cees

white 1969 280 SL
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 13:30:14 »
I doubted two years about buying a wind deflector. I tried the official MB one and one of an own make. Both were black and did not look nice on the car. On the other hand, the comfort was so convincing that I searched further on the internet. The result was the deflector of Cabriodesign, made of plexyglass without frame and easy to install. It is cheaper than the black ones and does not diturb the appearance of the car and the feeling free while driving. People looking at the car do not notice the part at their first glance. See www.cabriodesign.nl.
G.Wuisman 1971 280sl

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 14:44:36 »
I have one of those. The self adhesive velcro tape attaches to the inside of the rim of the soft-top box, so that the cloth part of the wind-deflector is pulled tight. When the lid is shut, you cannot see it.

The winddeflector is relatively easy to remove, as it attaches to the upper bolt of the seatbelts.

I've found the comfort level to be quite high... with side windows up you can easily drive the car in 0 degree centigrade with the top down.

Peter

Check out http://bali.esweb.nl for photographs of classic car events and my 1970 280 SL
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 23:13:14 »
Here you go:

http://www.auto-centro.de/shop1/einbau-windschott/Einbau-w113.html

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

graphic66

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 07:45:59 »
I purchased one a couple of years ago and it works incredibly well. It clamps on the hatch cover using allen screws and comes off without leaving a mark. I, however have never had reason to remove it. When not in use it folds down out of site and covers the parcel shelf to add a little privacy. At my local gun shop yesterday I had it up, it's getting colder here, and the salesperson asked if it was bulletproof. He remembered the old James Bond Aston Martin, I of course said it certianly was and I also have the oil slick option. The windscreen is now a permanent part of my car and gets constant use. You can just fold it down to put the top up, or just leave it up as it clears the top no problem. It really makes the car comfy and warm, you roll the windows, up turn on the heat and cruise around with the temp in the 40s no problem. It really extends top down riding here in the Northeast.

hauser

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 09:21:26 »
I once entertained the idea of buying one of these deflectors and decided to wait.  Seems there's quite a few different opinions on this topic.  Whenever I drive my 280 I'd say that about 98% of the time is with the top down.  I also do not use my car as a daily driver but more as a personal pleasure vehicle.  If it's a chilly day I'll wear my MB ski cap. ;)  

In order for this deflector to be effective you would have to have the windows rolled up.  In essence aren't we talking about a giant sunroof?  It may take some time for me to decide on this, meanwhile I'll take the cash and do some work to my car that will further enhance it to be what she was created for.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

graphic66

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 13:41:13 »
You don't need the windows up to get a great benifit from the screen. It really does a great job of keeping the wind off of you neck. It is one of the best things I have purchased for my car, and the only real aftermarket addition, except for the Bosch H4 headlights I can recommend. I use it almost evertime I drive the car.

hauser

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 13:50:40 »
If that's the case I guess I was miss informed.  I thought the windows had to be up.  Perhaps if we get this Florida event underway someone might show up with one of these wind deflectors and make a believer out of me.  Thanks for clearing this matter up for me!

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

athadani

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 14:28:51 »
Dont't hesitate - go 4 it. No discussion necessary.

Best,

Ashok

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 16:03:02 »
gwuisman

This looks like a far less visible item than the black things that are sold by Classic Additions (for example). Reminds me of that screen you cannot see between the head-rests on a Boxster. If it's good enough for (OK, won't go there ;) )

A couple of questions...

Do you remember what it cost you?

I assume no drilling etc is required?

Have you had any issues with "updraft" sucking stuff out of the kinder seat? The advantage of the other types would seem to be something like a tonneau for the kinder set - which has it's uses!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

TR

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 17:30:21 »
Folks -- I am in agreement with Graphic66.  Sounds like we have the same wind deflector, which was surprisingly though.  I've gotten to where I even like the look of it.  But if doesn't care for the look then all it takes is the touch of a finger to lay it down; 2-seconds tops.

But I too find that it works wonders.  Sometimes we go on long driving trips (a thousand miles or more) and will keep the top down the entire trip; only putting the soft top up in case of weather or at night for security.  Especially with the side windows up one can drive all day at speed while enjoying the stereo with crystal clarity or have a conversation without having to shout.  My wife loves it because her hair stays in place.  And I like it because without all of the normal noise and turbulance one doesn't get tired and worn out the way it normally happens after a long day of driving in a convertible.

Our new '04 CLK-500 cabriolet has the same thing.  Both work very well, and the '71 280SL is now almost as comfortable as the CLK-500 on long road trips.  I say "almost" because the CLK-500 has heated and active-ventilated seats.  The 280SL does not; at least not yet, but we're about to fix that.

n/a

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 14:59:03 »
Does anyone know where there are low cost after market windscreen that will fit the Pagoda.  Do we need to have the special model for 113 or if some other type would work also.

George Davis

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 09:46:26 »
Homemade, and it works fairly well.

Download Attachment: Windblock1.JPG
83.73 KB

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

George Davis

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 09:48:23 »
And up...

Download Attachment: Windblock3.JPG
73.34 KB

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

n/a

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 11:06:33 »
George,

Can you share the design?

Thanks,
Louis

bpossel

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 12:55:30 »
Do the wind deflectors need to be a solid material like plexi-glass in order to be effective?  I thought that I have seen some that are made with a screen, or mesh type material, surrounded by some sort of light weight tubing or frame structure?

Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Ben

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005, 04:17:07 »
Excellent work George and you've also answered another of my questions I think. I was going to make one from plexiglass but I woried that it would wobble and flex a lot if it were too tall. Yours is small and neat so I wondered what are the benefits of extra height, if any ?

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

George Davis

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2005, 09:31:11 »
Ben, Louis, and anyone else interested,

in my opinion, the low wind deflector I made works "well enough".  With the screen down, if I wear a baseball cap the wind buffeting in the cockpit will blow the cap off at highway speeds.  With the screen up, the cap stays on.  However, not all wind is eliminated, which I  like.  By shear luck, this design is what I'd consider a nice compromise between too much wind and not enough.  My wife and I made a 1200 mile freeway trip top down all the way, and we both thought it worked well.  I'd guess the taller screens reduce the wind even more.

I don't have actual plans, but will make some measurements and take some pics of details and post here; it'll probably be a few days before I can do that.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Ben

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 05:11:03 »
Good stuff George !

I'd appreciate the details when you get a chance, especially how/where it is mounted to the body !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 07:22:45 »
Bob, the later SLs have a mesh-and-aluminum-frame popup--my 500 has one, and it's very effective.  But I sorta like George's kitchen cabinet Euro-hinges! :D

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Sarasota FL
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Ben

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2005, 10:39:19 »
Do you guys think the mesh works better ? I reckon some of the air would get through so what effect this would have I dont know ?

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

TR

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2005, 10:51:02 »
Ben -- I can confirm that the black mesh screen works really well.  But if someone wants the wind-blown effect then its not necessasrily the way to go.

However, if you want minimal turbulence & wind noise they do an amazing job.  I have them on both my '04 CLK-500 cabriolet and '71 280SL.  Because of these screens my wife now loves these convertibles...her hair doesn't get torn up.  Also, we can make really long drives (500+ miles) with the top down the for the entire trip and we don't get tired out as would normally happen if the wind were blowing & buffeting.  Seems to me that driving hundreds of miles, at speed, with the top down and then arriving feeling comfortable & refreshed is pretty impressive.

Tom in Boise

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 15:53:33 »
Tosh,

I missed your post on my wind deflector and by that your questions. Here are the answers:

- I paid 361 Euros in 2001
- There is no drilling on the car. The system hangs on the edges of the soft top storage.
For security reasons I drilled two holes in the frame that holds the screen and the shelf for a pair of bolds and nuts in order to be sure the screen would not come lose from the shelf. The system is based on clamming on the frame.

Gerard Wuisman
1970 280sl
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 16:18:23 by gwuisman »

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 16:16:34 »
Ben and others,

My wind deflector is of solid material (carbonate glass). The advantage is that it hardly hurts the lines of the car when up. The ‘glass’ is crystal clear. The disadvantage is that at higher highway speeds a low pressure is built up behind the screen. When there is much turbulence in the air for example when driving behind a lorry or during take over, the deflector shakes. Mesh deflectors don’t do because of the transparency for air. I took the disadvantage in favour of the elegancy of the car as my wife disagreed on the mesh deflector I first took home.

I asked the aviation department of the Technical University Delft to do experiments with perforating the bottom side of a solid deflector screen as a student project. Perhaps this could avoid the built up of the low pressure zone. Unfortunately I never got an answer on my e-mail.

Gerard Wuisman
1970 280sl