Author Topic: What have I done to my front end?  (Read 3851 times)

roadsterdude

What have I done to my front end?
« on: October 08, 2012, 21:39:38 »
Took the Pagoda out to lunch Friday at one of my favorite local spots.  I parked in the corner space as close to the curb as I could to avoid door dings, and rubbed the curb with my right front wheel.  After a few choice cuss words about some minor curb rash, I had lunch, thinking all was OK, but on my way home, realized the car was handling very badly, and my steering wheel was not straight. It looked like my right front tire was almost flat.  I drove the 2 miles home gingerly and examined the damage.  The tire pressure was OK, but it was laying over on its side (camber) which affected the driver's side as well.  The tow in is messed up, with the front wheels now pointing in different directions. (right points in when left is straight)

Up on the jack stands to see what is broken, and nothing is apparent.  I had replaced tie rods, drag link and dampner recently which improved the handling somewhat, and all that looks nice.  I am thinking king pin, but not at all sure how to tell.  I can rock the wheel and I do get some play 12/6 o'clock, but not really excessive.  Did that with jack under the A Arm compressing the spring, and without with no big difference.  I am looking for opinions and advice.

Obviously, I could use new king pins, bushings and a-arm bushings etc after 40+ years, but am a little reluctant to start that since I have not done that before.  I hate work that requires compressing coil springs, and assume that is where I am headed.  What special tools will I need to tackle all that is likely needed?  Spring compressor? Press for the bushings? reamer?  I'm not a bad shade tree mechanic, but is this something I should tackle?

Let me have it!!

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: What have I done to my front end?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 21:52:04 »
Sound like the upper link pin adjustment shifted.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

roadsterdude

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 20:10:07 »
Thanks Joe, I'll check that and let y'all know.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:21:29 »
You don't need to compress or remove the springs to do the king pins. It's not as hard to do as you might imagine but you will need the services of a machine shop.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

roadsterdude

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 19:38:41 »
What part will I need a machine shop for?  Can I disassemble in the garage then take the parts that need to be machined?  Thanks.
I have looked up the king pin repair kit.  Will this have everything I need to do the job?  Thanks for the answers!

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 21:34:52 »
The bushings will need to be removed and then new ones installed. The machine shop can do this for you plus the bushings will need to be honed to fit the pins.

I would also buy the upper and lower pivot kits as well. Leave the shock installed as a safety measure and undo the nut on the bottom of the king pin. I leave it about half undone and then a couple of whacks with a hammer on the lower pivot will usually knock it loose.
Once you have the bottom pivot removed the whole assembly will slide off the pin.

You will need to remove the rotor, hub assembly, and caliper before you start. Remove the upper pivot assembly and replace with new parts. I use a small floor jack to raise the lower control arm high enough to start the bottom of the king pin into the lower pivot. You will need to have the upper and lower pivots along with the king pin already installed before you get to the last step where you fit the king pin into the lower pivot.
Tighten the nut with the lock under it until it's tight and try to move the spindle back and forth. If it's too tight remove the pin from the lower pivot and try a thinner spacer.
The BBB should have this info but it's likely more complicated than it really should be.

I put Peter's car from London back together while they waited. Maybe 1 - 2 hours for everything.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC