Author Topic: Restoring Frigiking AC system on '71 280SL  (Read 8067 times)

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
Restoring Frigiking AC system on '71 280SL
« on: October 25, 2012, 04:12:26 »
I've had the AC Compressor, Condenser and all other mechanical parts of the Frigiking system restored and rebuilt. I need to have the system charged and hoses made. Can anyone give me an idea of the work that's left to be done and approximate costs that I should expect to pay for this work? Thanks!
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Restoring Frigiking AC system on '71 280SL
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 14:40:24 »
Any good AC shop should be able to make or aquire the hoses.  Their pricing is up to them.  You can do well or get hosed.  ::)  If you aren't doing it yourself, you'll just have to get an estimate from that shop for labor plus the hoses and gas.   

Make sure you are clear bout how you want the hoses routed under the hood.  You won't mess with them often so don't let the fellow run them over the top for his convenience.  Look for a routing that will be out of the way for you.  The compressor will need the correct kind and quantity of oil.  Once the system is all re-connected you'll want them to pull a vacuum that holds for at least 20 minutes to assure no slow leaks.  Then a couple pounds of gas and you're good to go. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 17:00:47 »
Thanks Raymond, great advice! The shop will be making the hoses. To do all of this work, am I looking at a few hundred dollars or $1k+?
1971 280SL

Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 23:12:41 »
Well the first quote I received from the AC shop was for $3,800!  WTF???  That is insanely ridiculous.  My mechanic informed me this work should cost about $1,500, hopefully that's the case.  Can anyone recommend a reputable and honest AC shop in Los Angeles?
1971 280SL

Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

w113dude

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 02:07:51 »
The job involves about ten hours of labor for someone who knows these cars, it all depends on the hourly fees that the particular shop charges. I would look for a MB mechanic (old school ) it seems they are the only ones that would do this kind of work.

George Des

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 15:39:10 »
This is a job that can be done by a do-it-yourselfer, but it will take some time, especially if you are using the original compressor bracket since most of the components on the front of the engine will need to be removed to mount it and the condensor. There is an easier way if you go to a rotary compressor and leave the alternator in its traditional position. Joe A and I have exchnaged a number of posts on this. Joe used a bracket from a period sedan to mount the rotary compressor up above the intake manifold. Others have used a flat plate mount across the  front of the engine. You have an option of staying with R12 refrigerant of converting over to R134A. While the R12 is more efficent, the R134A is readily available in small cans at most auto parts stores. R12 can be very difficult to source and is expensive. The R134A setup will require different hosing from the R12 due to the higher pressures it operates under and the smaller size of the gas molecules. When I did my setup, I custom cut all the hosing and crimped them in place to ensure they are all the proper length. In order to do this, I purchased a hand hose crimper. One of the last things you want to do is to cut all your hoses, take them someplace to have the fittings crimped on only to find they are too short! Hope this helps.

George

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 20:44:10 »
Thanks George. Very helpful! I'm planning on staying with R12 as I've been told the system works much better with the old stuff. What would the correct type and gauge of hose be and how many feet of hose do I need to buy to make all the hoses? Is there a factory MBZ hose that I can use for this job? Ideally would like hoses with the MBZ logo stamp instead of aftermarket. Thanks!
1971 280SL

Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

George Des

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 13:00:38 »
Nate,

Can't say for sure how much hose you will need for your application. I used a different set up from what it looks like you will be doing--I used the flat bracket with a rotary compressor mounted up high. Suggest you take a look at your current hoses and make a "guesstimate" from that. I would figure on more hose rather than equal or less just to be safe. Unless MB uses their own hose on some of their later models, I think you will have a difficult time sourcing hoses with the MB logo. The Frigiking and Kuhlmeister A/C systems were dealer installed and my guess is they all used hosing that was readily available through USA A/C parts suppliers. Hope this helps.

George

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 21:57:12 »
For what it's worth, attached is a picture of my engine compartment showing the routing of the air conditioner hoses. I used R-12 because the expansion valve was designed for it.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA