Author Topic: Leaking Power Steering Fluid  (Read 3649 times)

n/a

Leaking Power Steering Fluid
« on: July 06, 2004, 07:21:19 »
I have noticed a leak of my power steering fluid, which is getting progressively worse, but am unclear where it is coming from or why.

Are there any obvious places to start looking at and or trouble areas that are know on the system.  If so what parts will I be looking at ordering and how simple to fit are they.

I appreciate that without knowing the excat cause suggesting solutions is difficult but if I can be directed to teh most likley cause first it will help me get to the solution quicker!
Thanks,
John.

n/a

Re: Leaking Power Steering Fluid
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 08:03:53 »
Good chance it is the power steering pump seal. Check your power steering fluid resivoir to see if air is getting into the system. If the pump seal is bad, air can be sucked in as well as fluid leaking out.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 06:46:53 »
John,
  There are four main components to the power steering. The pump, the hoses, the resevoir and the steering box. The pump is up front. The hoses and the resevoir are on the side. The steering box is towards the rear of the engine compartment. I suggest that you look under your car for the oil spot. That shold help you determine where it is coming from.
Ted
PS: I had a cracked hose once and it was difficult to find
PSS: There is a power steering filter in the resevoir. It was missing in my car. Check to see if you have one.

n/a

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 21:17:38 »
John,
Take a look at the top of the steering box.  It is located near the firewall.  I had a leak at the disk at the top of the steering box.  It is an easy fix with an o-ring.  Tom Hanson can supply it for about a buck.
Best regards,
Don

n/a

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 03:26:38 »
Thanks.  It was the power steering pump.  I bought a repair kit for it and its as good as new now.

smsarchitects

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 12:41:27 »
I have a similar leak at my power steering pump. Can you post or forward the source for the rebuild/repair kit?
Thank you.

Scott
1966 230SL 4 Speed