Author Topic: Jack stand support points when removing rear end?  (Read 8269 times)

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
Jack stand support points when removing rear end?
« on: December 26, 2012, 16:40:25 »
I've read all the posts (I think) on locations to place jack stands to support the rear of an SL, but all the recommended locations are on one part of the rear suspension or another.  These locations don't work if the task at hand is to remove some or all of the rear suspension.  I'm about to embark on replacement of the trailing arm bushings and the spring pads, but am unsure where on the car's body I can safely support it.  In my case, I'm looking for a location for the lift arms on a car lift, but the same would apply if you were looking for a place to locate jack stands.  Normally I lift from the forward mount point of the trailing arms, but obviously that won't work when the goal is to remove the trailing arms.  There must be some part of the body strong enough to lift from, but I don't want to trash the floor pans in my attempts.

Any guidance?
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
Re: Jack stand support points when removing rear end?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 18:54:56 »
I did place the jack stands under the jacking points when I swapped the rear end. I did put some wood pieces between the jack stands and the car so as not to damage the body, though this is not recommended for safety reasons as it can make the whole set up a bit unstable if the car was to move. In my case I did make sure the front wheels were blocked by wheel shocks and I chose the wood pieces carefully so that they were strong and wide enough to minimize risks. I left the car jack as a security on one side as well as another jack on the other side. I also put the wheels under the car. Make sure the car is very stable before going under there and that you will have enough space in case it collapses. And don't trust your jack stands 100%: I had a w108 4.5 fall while I was under there because the jack stands bent/collapsed. Fortunately enough creeking noises drew my attention and I got out of under there like a cannon ball just in time. The back of a Pagoda is quite light,  but heavy enough to cause quite some harm if it collapses on you.   

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 23:22:49 »
There is a strong structural frame channel which runs across the car in front of the rear trailing arms. You can block up on each side then bridge from side to side with a good lumber 4x4. You can use additional blocks to concentrate the weight where you want it between the frame member and the 4x4. You can safely do any procedure with the rear diff this way. You can use car ramps, blocks, rims or whatever for supports on each side.

When you are working under the car, always store any removed tires and rims under the car for your added safety!

If your car is in perfect structural condition (no rust), custom lift supports can be made which slip into each rear jack support.

If your working on a non-platform style car lift, you can block up to the same rear cross-member, however extreme caution must be taken when removing heavy components while a car is on a lift. Sudden changes in weight distribution can cause the car to shift or worse. Special long jack stands are used to prevent a car on a lift from shifting while major components are removed or installed.   
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 18:50:24 »
just lending my advice when I changed out rear end on mine I had that same issue with jack points in back... it got a little spooky the rear axle weights alot and when was up in air car started to get a little front heavy.  MY wife held onto rear bumpers ... maybe would have been ok,  but when I dropped rear axle I really felt it start to tilt forward... maybe just in my head, maybe picked bad points in rear.
Bob

Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

DavidBrough

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:45:08 »
When I first changed my axle I placed the stands under the jacking points as mentioned by Joe but when I did my full rebuild I purchased a tilting lift from CJ Autos which works on the sills and made life much easier. http://www.cjautos.eu/product_p/cl01.htm#sf
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:56:40 by DavidBrough »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 13:14:41 »
Very slick set up!
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 03:10:36 »
I used the lift to raise the car to remove the axle. The lift pads were on the frame next to the jack points. Once I had the axle out, I machined a couple of adapters and used the arm posts to support the rear of the car with jack stands. It is very stable and allows me to use the lift to raise the car to work on the underside.     
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 12:07:28 »
Looking good Wallace !

Bob
1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex