Author Topic: front entire suspension removal  (Read 4344 times)

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
front entire suspension removal
« on: March 15, 2013, 16:15:07 »
I have acquired a entirely rebuilt and painted front suspension and was going to replace mine.  How is the best way to accomplish this?  Am I better off removing the hood and cherry picking the engine (disconnection trans) from the top or can i rig the entire body up on a lift and drop all of the suspension, engine, and trans from below?
Thanks, Bob
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

w113dude

Re: front entire suspension removal
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 16:48:29 »
Hey Bob,

This is how I have done it, have the car on four stands take the front tires off, then take engine mount bolts and shocks off, lift the engine with a cherry picker about an inch or so then drop the front end, make sure you have a second support under transmission just incase cherry picker gives out. after taking the rest of the stuff off that's along the way, with the front tires off you can drop it low enough that can be dragged out. I use a small four wheel dolly it fits and rests perfect in the rectangular space.

rjmarco

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, CA, Alamo
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 16:51:32 »
Hi, Bob.

I'm actually having this work done on my 230 SL right now.  The car is at a custom shop up on a lift.  I've had the coil springs replaced and we're moving on to the bushings.  The shop owner has told me that he'll be dropping out the suspension to do the bushing work.  So, out from the bottom is my sense.

Regards,

Rich
Rich
Alamo, CA

W113SL

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 18:47:45 »
I have done that with with two pagodas.  Dropping the entire suspension out the bottom is the away to go.  I have actually installed the front suspension and engine in from the bottom.  That way I had the entire engine and transmission bolted togetherr and didn't need to worry about chipping any paint in the engine compartment.

W113SL
Pete Lesler 

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 19:53:19 »
When I rebuild my front suspension, I will take it all out from the bottom like Pete said and detail the engine and trans. I bought a portable home lift that works well for a DIY. Here is a link for the lift:
  http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

I am not affiliated with the company and have used mine for over a year now with no problems. Sure is a backsaver.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

stevepatten

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:53:56 »
Hi Guys,
I have a 1965 230sl, I bought it about 7 years ago.  I have done quite a lot of work to it over these years in order to keep things right, but one thing I have really wanted to do is replace the suspension bushes.  They look perished and overdue, thus my thinking.  Does anyone know where or how I might get a full set of replacement bushes or even some advise on what sort of bushes there might be available?  I also have a 67 Triumph, with these there are a multitude of types one can use, I used a polybush.
Thanks.
(This is my first attempt of this!)
Steve

w113dude

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:57:47 »
Hi Guys,
I have a 1965 230sl, I bought it about 7 years ago.  I have done quite a lot of work to it over these years in order to keep things right, but one thing I have really wanted to do is replace the suspension bushes.  They look perished and overdue, thus my thinking.  Does anyone know where or how I might get a full set of replacement bushes or even some advise on what sort of bushes there might be available?  I also have a 67 Triumph, with these there are a multitude of types one can use, I used a polybush.
Thanks.
(This is my first attempt of this!)
Steve
Hi Steve,
Go to supplier list on this site and look for SLS in Germany they have all the parts you need.