Author Topic: Wise Advice: 2nd Set of keys & Valet feature / Classic Center  (Read 7556 times)

Kayvan

Spoke with Gernold recently

He commented that its becoming harder to get OEM 113 keys

He recommended that I order a 2nd set to keep handy just in case and in case availability becomes an issue.

My keys are original and heavily worn.

I spoke to the classic center who advised they can provide  (3) keys based on your VIN:

-doors
-ignition
-valet: same key for trunk & glove box

(note: many locks have been replaced b/c of broken cylinders, new handles, new doors, trunks, restoration or accident damage)

If all your locks are original CC or any M-B dealer can ship keys; if not new cylinder locks based on VIN can be ordered. It's trial & error process unless you disassemble cylinder and check #.

-gas cap is separate (some here say cas cap cylinder can be ordered  to match ignition key as well); CC doesn't do.

My glove box key was lost and my trunk cylinder was damaged.  Classic center ordered the new trunk lock and matching valet key for it and glove box. My passenger door lock was also hard to turn with rounded key.

Valet feature was set so you could have two rings on key fob and detach valet ring to keep trunk / glove-box secure.

Cost is about ~ $10-14/key and in future you can get a new set cut from any MB dealer. Obviously one can just copy their current keys or odd key for few dollars locally. But, having a matching #s keys set is nice.

This is not a flashy upgrade but sliding a sharp new key into your locks with positive engagement is nice!

Good advice from Master & I took it!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 19:55:17 by Kayvan »

mchokhdar

Re: Wise Advice: 2nd Set of keys & Valet feature / Classic Center
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 15:02:24 »
Hi Kayvan, what brand are your original keys? I currently have a Taylor key for the ignition and a seperate Taylor key for the door. What shall I do

Kayvan

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 18:41:49 »
I will check later this week when i pick up my SL from classic center

In reading other threads it's seems ignition key is large plastic covered and door is sqaure metal

If u don't have second set order one thru classic center with # on data card

mchokhdar

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 19:08:06 »
That would me great, please check and tell me. Thing is, I have a key for ignition, one for trunk and one for door. And I don't have any copies for either so I really want to get a spare first for the ignition since its the one that's in the worst condition. I am confused after looking on the Internet for the original keys since everyone is saying a different answer.  Are you also familiar with the "Birth Certificate" for the car. I tried to get it from the classic center in irvine but they don't get them anymore. Any suggestions? I would love to get some hard copy duplicates of the documentations.

Brian in NL

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Clara
  • American living in the Netherlands & USA
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 20:15:33 »
You can get a "data card" from the Classic Center, which includes the codes for all three keys to your SL ... assuming it still has the origina locks. I just got a copy of my data card last week, so they are still issuing them. All you need to do is scan your title or registration to prove ownership and send them the 14-digit vehicle number from the factory plate on your car (NOT the VIN), and they will email you a scan of the data card as well as a key to the options list, paint codes, etc.

The 230SLs had a large metal key (no plastic) for the ignition ... plastic was added later for the 280s (not sure about 250s). Door key is smaller and squarish, while the trunk key is same size but more rounded.

Good advice, Kayvan.  I seen OEM key blanks for the ignition keys on eBay, but they are a bit expensive. Ordering from the Classic Center sounds like a better solution.

Brian
Brian Akre
1967 230 SL, U.S. spec, 050 White, Black top, 116 Kaviar interior, #17,030 of 48,912;
1997 SL 500 Sport, U.S. spec, 269 Tourmaline Green, Parchment interior, #145,506 of 204,940;
1991 Nissan Figaro, Emerald Green, #15,717 of 20,073;
2014 VW GTI, White, daily driver

mchokhdar

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 20:31:29 »
I see. Where can I get the snowflake decal please?

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 23:44:49 »
-gas cap is separate (some here say cas cap cylinder can be ordered  to match ignition key as well); CC doesn't do.

For my 230SL, the three keys are
1. Ignition (large special shape)
2. Doors and gas cap (squarish)
3. Glove box and trunk (more rounded)

Isn't this standard?

I also have small key that was for the original antenna, which I no longer have.

Chris

Kayvan

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 00:53:20 »
Classic center has snowflake decal

Millers, SLS have engine bay decal sets which includes the snowflake for inside of windshield / B pillar

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort~A2~cadehfjB
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:11:39 by Kayvan »

mchokhdar

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 01:25:40 »
ill give them a call tomorrow, thanks kayvan. do you have any suggestions about the birth certificate or other hard copy documentations that i can obtain besides the data card

Kayvan

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 02:41:25 »
Clarification:

The data card & codes is free and they will mail scan

They also offer a CERTIFICATE suitable for framing which comes from archives data

http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mercedes-benz-re-launches-high-mileage-award-and-introduces-birth-certificate-for-all-models-54351077.html

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 03:04:51 »
Clarification:

The data card & codes is free and they will mail scan

They also offer a CERTIFICATE suitable for framing which comes from archives data

http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mercedes-benz-re-launches-high-mileage-award-and-introduces-birth-certificate-for-all-models-54351077.html

I believe this press release was from May 2005. The last time I made an inquiry to the classic center, I was told they have been discontinued indefinitely..

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

mchokhdar

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 03:22:04 »
Yeah I called yesterday and they said the birth certificate has been discontinued, but the high mileage award program is still running. Any other suggestions of any hard copy documentations that I can obtain, I don't mind paying for it, I just want some stuff to get for the car