Author Topic: random engine knock  (Read 6472 times)

Col Webb

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Anna Maria
random engine knock
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:33:18 »
I'm getting a random / intermitant knock from the engine. It is coming from the front of the engine and seems to be coming from the top. It is not a rhythmic knock. No knock at idle but appears above 2000 rpm. I removed the valve cover and ran the engine (covered valve train with cardboard) and did not hear a pronounced knock. Before start, timing chain was loose. It tightened up after running.  I think the problem is a worn timing chain. Am I correct? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

w113dude

Re: random engine knock
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 11:43:31 »
Have you checked your timing?
you can tell if you have a stretched chain, rotate the crank to TDC, with the two front cam lobes facing up the marker right behind the timing chain sprocket should line up, if it is right on then your chain is good. I would also check the tensioner.

Col Webb

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Anna Maria
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 15:45:54 »
Thanks for the response. I dont think its timing for it does not sound like preignition. Sounds more like metal hitting metal as if the timing chain was hitting the block or valve cover or something else such as the tensioner is gitting. I cant locate using a mechanic stethoscope touching valve cover and block. But can clearly hear that it is at the front of the engine in area of timing chain.  I'll check the timing mark. Thanks. Chuck

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 17:55:07 »
It could be a loose or worn bushing for the tach drive. Mine made a chirping noise but I suppose it could be different or every engine.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

enochbell

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 18:42:12 »
If it is more a "clacking" sound you might want to check the torque on the valve cover bolts.  If it is too high you can distort the towers that support the oiler and it can interfere with the valve rockers.  Don't ask me how I know.

Greg

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 19:53:52 »
Have you inspected a rod bearing recently?   :o   My wife barrowed my 250SL once and the accelerator stuck, motor reved high for a long time.  I pulled the small pan and checked the front bearings.  They were fine.  But, Some idiot forgot to torque one of the rod nuts.  I had a few authorities listen to the noise.  Picture a rod with only one nut.  It was strong enough to work well at low rpm and low stress.  But  It was always above 2000 and sounded high pitched clickclicking like a lifter.  It did not sound like a clack as in bad bearing.  It finally let go, giving no doubt what had gone wrong.  I now have two problems solved: a 280SEL motor and my wife will not drive the car. 
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S