Author Topic: children admiring our 113's  (Read 8306 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
children admiring our 113's
« on: June 21, 2013, 23:37:10 »
It's the State Of West Virginia's 150th birthday  this week. I live about a mile from the Capitol. It has been a sunny 85 degrees, so time for a drive around our state capitol complex.  Beautiful weather. They are having many festivities this week at the state capitol. I drove past a few  families  that were walking with their children ranging from around 5 years of age to around 10 years old.  Two different groups of these small children pointed to my car, as if to say----Look at that  Mommy!     I would assume  that some of you have noticed this also. These cars of ours  are truly timeless. They seem to know that they are looking at something very different from most other cars.  
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

dseretakis

Re: children admiring our 113's
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 02:18:15 »
I've also noticed the younger generation admiring my car.  I guess it's hard to blame them as car styling is so utterly bland today.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 03:27:46 »
Being new to the Pagoda world I've noted this as well. I've been driving BMW M3's since 2004 and never ever have I got as many compliments as with this fine automobile. On Fathers day weekend I took a 398 mile round trip and many were noted. Also at the car show I noted many of the younger generation pointed fingers at the six (6) Pagoda's at the car show. I also like to refer to it as having that "timeless" look.

Compare most other cars from today they all seam to look alike. My little Pagoda is beginning to grow on me.

I had fun removing all the bugs from the front bumper, grill and windshield chrome trim the other day from that weekend round trip :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 05:27:12 »
Last Tuesday I drove the car from my restoration shop to another place renown here for engine and gear fine-tuning. Although there was a light rain and I had to drive with the softop on, there were many people turning their heads either at red light stops or from (alas!) :D overtaking cars. And indeed, there were many children pointing out in the car's direction with visible interest. Cannot hide that I was also quite amused seeing three young girls (calling them children would be not appropriate anymore) that started to chat with me, saying how much they would like a ride (alas again, no spare seats behind ;D).

After that trip, I realized that our cars can constitute a road hazard as they divert attention not only of children but also adults, including drivers. :) My resolution was then that once the car is fully tuned-up, I will drive faster to avoid being so much on the spot :D
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 02:43:20 »
When I drive my W111 around the neighborhood, a surprising number of kids give it a double take. My next door neighbor has a 10 year old that is nuts about it. Timeless looks with these cars for sure. This is actually great news that a new generation will want to collect and appreciate these cars like us after we have moved on. 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 04:32:59 »
I agree that little tykes typically find our cars alluring. However, I also notice that my car catches the attention of many "older tykes" as well. Obviously, several of us here are in that crowd -- for some, the Pagoda has been their love object since they were younger (possibly in the service in Germany). For others, it was perhaps a retirement gift to themselves -- a reward of sorts to enjoy in the leisure years. We of course are the lucky ones. Yet here in Northern California I notice I get that wow grin and that "longing look" from a lot of gentlemen in say the 55-70 crowd. Some of them actually have a "where's my checkbook, how much do you want? look..." Anybody know what I mean?
James
63 230SL

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 13:17:43 »
Drove by the town pool with the top down the other day, when two young teen girls gave me the "I love your car" as they walked to their bikes.  Clearly, classic makes an impression with the social media set.
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

enochbell

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 13:56:18 »
The other thing I have noticed about the attention the car gets is that it is from anyone and everyone.  People in expensive cars, junkers, panel vans, pickup trucks, and people from all walks of life give a thumbs up and want to know "what year?" followed by "that's beautiful".  I doubt if I pulled up in a 1964 Bentley I would get the same attention as when I pull up with my 1964 Pagoda.  These are, somehow, completely approachable classics.

Greg

Yem

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 22:49:36 »
I have seen it quite often.  I was cruising last Sunday, a beautiful cloudless winter day in the famous Chapel St Melbourne, a slow moving street precinct full of cafes, botiques stores and show cars of all types, although 98% modern vehicles.  So as this car of yesteryear cruises along, I notice kids and adults alike of all ages giving thumbs up, dancing in front as they cross and commenting with terminology such  as "gorgeous", "wow" are all the norm.

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 23:02:23 »
 My car has always had admiring comments, even when new. Same holds true today from young and old. I get quite a few folks asking what kind of car it is and are amazed when they hear it is nearly 45 years old. The car is a  rare bird in these parts so it always attracts a lot of attention when ever we are out and about, especially with the top down.

John
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:37:32 by 49er »
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 03:58:28 »
Me too. Often I see youngsters under 10 turning their heads. In my experience, it is exclusively boys. Most interesting is that some are so young they are still in strollers.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 04:37:18 »
Today I drove out to Dan (Benz Dr.) on the 402 toward the US border about half way a School bus  pased me and at least 6 girls around 9 to 12  years of age I figured waved at me ... At that moment I was thinking about this thread :) shortly after it started to rain and I had to make an emergenciy stop at the next exit to put the top up :(

Benz Dr. Fixed and identified a few minor problems on my new found friend ... Some will be addressed in the near future.  It was a great drive.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:54:16 by Alter Peter »

gerster

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 07:36:09 »
Women and children love our cars the most I've noticed.  I've seen a lot of women that get a smile on her face and start to wave when I passed them. I'm sure it was not for the
old guy behind the wheel!

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 15:28:15 »
Speaking of women and children...My daughter who turned 18 in April just recently fell in love with my car. When I bought it over two years ago, she wouldn't ride in it. Now, I need to hide the keys so she's not tempted to drive it!

The turn of events occurred when I picked her up from a school event several months ago. She had no choice but to ride in the car. As she was explaining to me why the car was "old and not cool", a group of her friends walked by and went nuts over the car. They just loved it! As I drove away, I turned to her and said, "you were saying?"... silence. We had to drop by a store on the way home. My daughter started mildly commenting on the car again. As we came out of the store, a couple were admiring my car. As we are all accustom, small talk about the car ensued. During the conversation, I said to the couple, my daughter is embarrassed by the car. The women looked at her and said, "Oh Honey, you have no idea what a great car this is. I'd drive it everyday if it were mine." A Father's/Pagoda Owner's vindication! I thought I would need to remove her from the will!  :D

Over the following weeks and months, my daughter has witnessed the thumbs up, the waves and the "nice car" comments our cars receive. She is a fan. She's even helping me on my vintage Porsche search!  
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 03:30:49 »
Will children stem the trend or shall we start thinking about what to put on our tombstones?  ;)
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/30/sunday-review/the-end-of-car-culture.html
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 20:57:00 »
Now that you mention "tombstones" Perhaps some of us are planning to take our car with us like this fellow here would have loved to do  ;D

I plan to have lot's of fun with mine whenever I can :)

Click here for the story ----> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1273067/Car-lover-buried-ton-granite-carving---BMW.html

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 16:04:41 »
Now that is a grave stone but it is a BMW. Mr. Mash worked as an engineer for Ford
Motor company, sad is his passing to early . He  is just a tag younger than me.
Bob Geco