Author Topic: Soft Top Stuck  (Read 3156 times)

ctm14

Soft Top Stuck
« on: July 08, 2013, 02:24:23 »
  Well I have read of the problem many have experienced where the soft top gets stuck in the well.  I feared one day that scenario would visit me so am extra careful raising and lowering the top.  Well... until today, in an effort to get a last minute drive in as the long US Independence weekend comes to an end I lowered the top in haste and the rear bow slipped and fell into the well.  There I was with my young daughter waiting for a ride and the top partially down and stuck. This has been posted on many occasions but I thought it was worth mention again. The procedure is linked below from the tech manual. I want to stress that this s a two man job (my wife tried to assist but a neighbor ultimately helped get the job done).  The comment that while holding the "L" brackets open apply more force to fold the top than you would expect can't be emphasized enough.

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop#StuckSofttop

Thanks for the good description of the procedure in the tech manual!

Chris

gerster

Re: Soft Top Stuck
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:51:27 »
I had this problem a couple of weeks ago and loosened the big screw on the left side with a screwdriver, near the front window so the tension did get off the hood and could easily lift the
top out of the well and put the screw back. It was a matter of 2 minutes and the problem was solved.

Brenco

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Ireland, Dublin, Rathfarnham
  • 1969 280sl auto light ivory
Re: Soft Top Stuck
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 16:25:27 »
Hi
I am a bit mystified. What screw did you loosen and put back? If your are talking about the screws on the frame - they are flatted at the ends which prevent them being removed easily and are difficult to put back. So which one(s) are you talking about? Thanks B
1969 280sl auto US model light ivory