Author Topic: Towing an automatic  (Read 5343 times)

280sl1968

Towing an automatic
« on: July 08, 2013, 16:03:01 »
What is the general consensus on towing an auto in neutral with all four wheels on the ground. I know generally it is not advised because of fluid overheating and transmission parts not getting adequately lubricated, but is it acceptable at low speed for short distances?

Also, I saw elsewhere that the front 'towing' eye isn't intended to be a towing point and is likely to break off if used to pull the car. Where would be the right place to attach towing straps in that case?

David

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Towing an automatic
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 16:38:39 »
I think it's not safe at any speed or distance. A friend of mine just last weekend told me that is how his trans got ruined last year. Better safe than sorry I would say, and get the car put on a flatbed, or temporarily disconnect the driveshaft.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 18:36:22 »
Also, I saw elsewhere that the front 'towing' eye isn't intended to be a towing point and is likely to break off if used to pull the car. ...
David,
I doubt that Mercedes installed the tow hook (p/n 113 626 00 33) as a decoration. Of course, after 45 years one should check its consdition and make sure it is not rusted.
For towing instructions see :

I think it's not safe at any speed or distance. A friend of mine just last weekend told me ......
Hi Cees,
was that "an old wife" or just her tale?  ;) :)  Sorry, I could not resist!  ;D
Here is what the Daimler manual for the W113 automatic transmission recommends when towing (similar text is also in the owners manual - please compare!):
d) Emergency Start of Vehicle (Towing of Vehicle)
If for some reason or other the engine cannot be started with the starting motor start as is customary in such a case by having the vehicle towed or by coasting down a slope. For this purpose  shift selector lever first to position  "0", then switch on the ignition  and at a driving speed of approx. 19 miles/h shift selector lever to position "3" or "4". While shifting the selector lever from position "0" to position 3" or "4" the gas pedal should be at reduced throttle.
If the engine  is not operated  by the rear wheels after engaging  a gear, the indication  is that the secondary pump cannot yet meet the oil requirements of the transmission.  Take selector lever immediately back to position "0" and then once again to position "4" or "3" after another minute of towing.
If  the vehicle  is towed  be  sure to use a  long  towing  rope  and  shift selector lever immediately to position "0" the moment the engine is starting up, in order to prevent hitting the towing vehicle.

e) Towing  of Vehicle
If the vehicle must be towed for some reason or other shift selector lever into position  "0". Towing speed should not be less than 12 miles/h and should not exceed  31 miles/h. If  the towing  distance  is long, if towing can only be done at a "Crawling" speed, or if the transmission itself is damaged make sure that the universal shaft is disconnected at the rear axle.

Please note the minimum speed requirement to get sufficient oil pressure!

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

280sl1968

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 19:08:52 »
Interesting - I hadn't thought about the need to achieve a minimum towing speed.

On the towing eye issue, it was this forum thread that made me doubt that what looks like a towing eye, might not be for that purpose:

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=12023.0

One person refers to it as a 'tie down hook'

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 19:44:04 »
Indeed, the original intention of these loops is to give somewhere for the cars to be strapped down when shipping. However, If your car is structurally sound it will be fine for use as a towing eye, or indeed for use to tow another vehicle.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 20:19:07 »
Indeed, the original intention of these loops is to give somewhere for the cars to be strapped down when shipping. ....
Hmm ... I wonder where this notion comes from.  ???
Mercedes refers to this loop in German as "Abschleppbügel" in the spare parts list and other publications, photo legends, etc, that I have seen, or in English as a bracket for towing.
Now "towing" means towing while the car is rolling and not for "pulling" a vehicle out of a ditch, or to pull it up a steep ramp on a tow truck where all the weight on the bracket. Of course, once on a flat bed it could be used as an additional tie down but then just one tie down location may not be sufficient for safe transportation.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 22:24:28 »
If you have your car on a trailer or flat bed you should always leave the trans in neutral while having the hand brake on. The dogs on the parking brake inside of the trans may break off due to constant bouncing or jerking. Most tow companies leave transmissions in the park position as part of policy. Don't get messed up by someone not knowing about what can happen. 
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC