Author Topic: Mystery chrome  (Read 5704 times)

frankenbenz

Mystery chrome
« on: July 24, 2013, 20:05:06 »
Hey guys!

After ripping apart a perfectly rusted out 230SL for my little project car the FrankenBenz, it seems I have some chrome left over which I can only assume is off the dash?

If anyone recognizes the mystery chrome, please let me know what it is so I can pop it onto eBay. I have to try to recover a few of the sheckles I have put out on this thing!!

Thanks

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Mystery chrome
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 20:26:31 »
Just a comment ... once you are a member here then you can look up drawings and sketches in the Technical Manual to identify each piece.

However, I don't think the pieces in your pictures will sell on e-bay  ::)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

frankenbenz

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 20:54:03 »
Great suggestion! Thanks ...

And you're probably right about the value of those pieces. It always seems like the one little piece that I need (that looks like it should be available for about $10) ends up costing me hundreds, and the little piece that I have left over end up having little to no value. :(

If you had any idea how many parts for this car were either lost, stolen, misplaced ... you name it ... your head would spin. In the earlier days of this "restoration" fiasco, I sent an entire pallet of parts (including the old 230SL engine) off to Star Quality Auto Parts. The plan was to get them to figure out a fair price for it all, which I would take as a credit against future parts that I needed. Of course of all the dismantlers that have been in this biz for so long, Star Quality was the one place I sent all the parts, and the one place that tanked leaving me with nothing more than a shipping bill for a thousand pounds worth of scrap metal.

Alas ... that has been pretty much the story of this car. Boy, could I do a commercial for Preparation H.

rwh

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Mateo
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 21:49:07 »
Most of these pieces are the chrome that sits above the leather or tex covered pads all along the bottom of the dashboard. There is one piece you have in the picture, the one long one in the back, that I'm not sure about.  I'm about to put mine back as I complete my 230sl restoration.  You might be surprized as to what they might bring on ebay. Alternatively you could try selling them to one of the suppliers e.g. AuthenticClassics.com.  Good luck.

frankenbenz

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 22:42:53 »
Perfect! Mystery solved ... except the long one. And given the "storage" system that my chrome shop had, I'm both surprised that I got all of my pieces (except one) back from them, but wouldn't be surprised if someone else's trim piece followed me home!

Thanks again!!

Ken

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:57:33 »
You could always let the Forum members have first call in purchasing them, that way no eBay fees etc.

Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

frankenbenz

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 18:39:20 »
Hey Garry ... I think I have to be a full member to post ads for items for sale and I am not a full member. :(

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 18:59:11 »
Hey Garry ... I think I have to be a full member to post ads for items for sale and I am not a full member. :(

That's by choice Frankenbenz...you can join as a full member in a heartbeat, and also get the other benefits besides the technical manual, Pagoda World and advertisements...worth every penny.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Desertpagoda

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, AZ, Tucson
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 21:36:28 »
FYI,
 Star Quality Parts is alive and well. Talked to them today. 800-782-7199  Keith
kb

star63

• Senior
  • Finland, Etela-Suomen Laani, Vantaa
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 05:36:46 »
Perfect! Mystery solved ... except the long one.

The long one goes to the top edge of the door panel.

- Petri
Petri
'67 250 SL (early)
'66 230 SL (long project)
Finland