Author Topic: Hardtop rear glass installation problem.  (Read 5627 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Hardtop rear glass installation problem.
« on: July 28, 2013, 23:43:59 »
I'm doing something wrong.  My hardtop has been on my dining room table for 2 years now and I'm finally putting it back together.  The task for the day was putting in the rear window.  I read the hardtop restoration stuff and that didn't help.

I'm wondering if I have the gasket on backwards.  OR is there supposed to be a huge gap between the chrome outer trim and the rubber around the glass window.  See pictures attached...

thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Hardtop rear glass installation problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 02:38:52 »
Scott,
it is a bit difficult to see whether you got the seal turned inside out or not but you should not have that much of a gap unless the trim piece is not seated correctly in the slots and/or is bent.
It is not intuitive and thus easy to put the seal on in reverse. Look at the outside bottom edge of the seal there should be a flap as you can see in the photo, but it does not go all around the window, only along the bottom.  Whereas on the inside you should have a channel all around and your rope goes inside this channel.
Is your seal OEM or aftermarket (URO)?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 15:41:08 »
Scott,
it is a bit difficult to see whether you got the seal turned inside out or not but you should not have that much of a gap unless the trim piece is not seated correctly in the slots and/or is bent.
It is not intuitive and thus easy to put the seal on in reverse. Look at the outside bottom edge of the seal there should be a flap as you can see in the photo, but it does not go all around the window, only along the bottom.  Whereas on the inside you should have a channel all around and your rope goes inside this channel.
Is your seal OEM or aftermarket (URO)?
The seal is OEM.  My seal at the bottom looks like yours in your photograph.  The gap between the chrome trim and the rubber is maybe 1/4" at the top left and right sides.  If I look at the construction and spacing of the chrome trim, it is difficult to see how it would be possible for them to be placed any farther into the knotches that hold the tabs in place...   The trim may well be bent, but I thought it was flush with the surface of the hardtop and that there was still a gap....
thanks!!!!
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 16:49:11 »
Scott,
I checked and the gap on mine is about 1/8".  Bend the the tabs a bit more to change the angle and once they are in the slots press the trim down onto the rubber. Put don't press a single spot, use a round piece of wood and press over a longer distance.
Alfred

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 00:04:33 »
Scott,
I checked and the gap on mine is about 1/8".  Bend the the tabs a bit more to change the angle and once they are in the slots press the trim down onto the rubber. Put don't press a single spot, use a round piece of wood and press over a longer distance.
OK, so there _IS_ a gap between the chrome on the sides near the top and the rubber, right?  I'm thinking that is as designed, I just need to go look at another hardtop as a reality check....   I think I know where one is parked..
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

George Des

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 12:56:43 »
That is correct--there is a gap. In fact if you look at the top middle you will see what looks like a small vent. I believe this is to allow the top to breathe through the pin holes in the headliner.

George

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 20:09:26 »
That is correct--there is a gap. In fact if you look at the top middle you will see what looks like a small vent. I believe this is to allow the top to breathe through the pin holes in the headliner.
I went to the Indi mechanic that has a long-term 250SL garaged and looked at the hardtop.  I was doing it correctly.  No worries.  I just didn't remember it that way when I took it apart...
thanks all
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 21:17:18 »
So, how wides was the gap on this "long-term 250SL"  - really 1/4" ?
Alfred