Author Topic: soft top  (Read 3210 times)

gnj588d

soft top
« on: August 22, 2013, 13:50:29 »
Can anyone recommend a supplier in the UK for the soft top on my 66 230,is it a DIY job for someone with reasonable skill
the code is 979 Beige can I get the Original material Sonnenland. Many thanks. Mike.

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Re: soft top
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 16:37:05 »
Did mine myself, not too difficult. Should be done in warm weather so that the material is more pliable.
Should be tight and a little difficult to close when first done, it will stretch. You must be prepared to pull
a joint apart and reglue if required to get it correct. Front edge should be folded down or drumming will result
due to wind turbulence. Note position of old straps and use as template for new ones.
Got mine from sls, not sure what colours they do.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Russell

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 15:53:00 »
i have just come back from flying to Stuttgart and i can certainly recommend KHM who seem to supply many places.
very knowledgeable and Klaus is a very interesting character himself that seems to know pretty much all there is for you to get the right thing for what you want for your car depending on if originality, quality or price is your most important thing
http://www.cabrio.de/

or give Colin a call at http://www.colinferns.com/
he will do a deal with you as he buys loads from KHM he can be as competitive.

at least that way you get the right thing if that is of any interest to you

gnj588d

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 20:53:51 »
Thanks everyone for your help Cheers .Mike.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 20:37:21 »
Mike,

Cabrio.de make the soft tops for many suppliers, including those in the UK and US. Their quality is excellent.

As Larry said, the job is diy-able noting the excellent caveat about not doing it in the winter in an unheated ski school. 

I put about a hundred photos of the job on a photo hosting sites and put the link here.  A quick search will produce the link and pictures.

It's not a hard job at all, but 2 pairs of hands will be a real bonus. Good luck.

J
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL