Author Topic: Cannot reproduce transmission issue  (Read 3167 times)

flacc

Cannot reproduce transmission issue
« on: November 01, 2013, 13:57:06 »
My car has always been a smooth shifter and the knock down switch works well.  Recently I have noticed that it is reving a bit higher before downshifting into third gear.  Additionally the transmission has spun out slightly or not quite caught gear a few times.  I deceided to bring it to the shop and halfway there the RPMs took off and the car would not down shift at all.  I drove several miles at 15 MPH to keep the RPMs under 3500 or so.  The guys inspected and reported that everything looks fine.  They recommended a transmission shop that I brought it to and he has been unable to find any shifting issues also. Several test drives have been fine.  Any ideas?  Clearly I am not a mechanic and must rely on the kindness of others..lol.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Cannot reproduce transmission issue
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 15:03:22 »
Hello Christopher,

I am not a mechanic either, however, that does not mean we can not read and educate ourselves on the issue at hand. What I am trying to say is that this web side is fully dedicated to people like your and I to help one another. Members that started this site have set up a "Technical Manual" and "Special Notes" This however, is only accessable to "Full Members" The yearly fee is very minimal and I like to refer to it as "worth it's weight (amount) in gold" I say this since you can access a wealth of information that for excample members here have compiled and organized from precisely issues like yours.

My point is, once you are a full member here you can read all about it and then you can talk to your mechanic (or even check things out yourself) in the end you save a fist full of money form things you read and learn on this web site. One thing we have in our favour here is that due to the age of our cars a wealth of information has been gathered and exchanged among members here. You will find this in only a few web sites.

From your problem description I think you have an issue with your throttle linkage (let's hope it is not a transmission issue). Obviously it was okay before and something changed suddenly. I can only summarize that for whatever reason something in your linkage adjustment has changed that caused your RPM issue. With todays high hourly rates that the shops charge for our cars you will be able to check some of the points yourself and as I said earlier "save a fist full of money"

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 15:08:09 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

flacc

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 17:17:52 »
Thank you so much.  I have previously been a full member, but have slipped away as the years have gone on.  You response is thoughtfule and duly noted.  Thanks again

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 21:48:46 »
You describe an intermittent issue.  Hopefully it came and went, but probably not.  I can't think of anything IN the tranny that would do this intermittently: something in the fluid could have been caught by the filter, in that case no problem until more what ever gets in the fluid.   

Outside the tranny:  Its been a long time since I looked at an auto SL or sedan.  I had an auto sedan, the carpet caught the kickdown switch behind the gas pedal and kept it in kickdown.  The tranny wouldn't shift out of second.   Just keep thecarpet out of there.   There may also be a vacuum modulator on the side of the tranny with a vacuum line running to it.  I had a leak in the hose at the modulator and the tranny wouldn't predictable upshift. 

Sounds too, like who ever looked at it touched something and unknowingly fixed it.  Done that, too.
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S