Author Topic: Automatic Trunk Emblem  (Read 11551 times)

DickLewis

Automatic Trunk Emblem
« on: December 14, 2013, 23:34:27 »
Can anyone tell me why or how cars got the AUTOMATIC emblem on the trunk.  It seems like most automatics that I see in restoration do not have it.  Was it a request?  Was it only in Euorpe?  I can't seem to find any answer.
Thanks.

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Automatic Trunk Emblem
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 00:00:53 »
I think Dick you will find it only on European Pagodas … I might be wrong :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 00:26:34 »
I think Dick you will find it only on European Pagodas … I might be wrong Smiley

No, Rolf-Dieter,
Don't think so.  :D You are not wrong but correct. ;)

At least US-delivered cars didnT# come with the "AUTOMATIC" trunk sign (because Auto war already so standard in the US back then).
Rest of the world (or at least most of it) should be delivered with the Automatic trunk sign (unless separately ordered without trunk signs).

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 01:19:40 »
Dick,

My 1970 280SL has the 280SL on the left side of the trunk, and the Automatic on the right.

Mine was a domestic auto purchased in Washington DC.  It was made in April 1970.  It did have body work done in 1971 which included a lacquer repaint, so I don't know what it was shipped with.  The inside of the trunk was not repainted, and there were no other holes for the Automatic that was filled on the left side, so I assume the original holes on the right were always there.  I don't have a way to verify though.

I have seen other 280SL's with the Automatic positioned below the 280SL on the left side.

Look at this post on this site:

One pic has the auto on the right, one has itunder the 280SL on the left.  I honestly can't say which is correct.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=13288.msg91984#msg91984

If you find out, please keep me posted.  I kind of like mine where it is.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

W113SL

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 15:39:37 »
Mike:  The correct placement of the automatic script on Euro cars only, is on the left side below the  230- 280SL script.  I have seen some W108 and W111 models with the automatic sciptt on the right side.

Pete Lesler
W113SL

DickLewis

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 22:38:30 »
OK so far all the replies seem to make sense.  Interestingly my 250SL was a European Delivery car so I could argue that I can put the Automatic on it since it was delivered there and toured EUrope before it came home to the US.

My car is currently in the bare metal stage of its re-paint.  I have finally decided on the colors and am very excited about this restoration ----- my first total restoration.

KevinC

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 00:09:36 »
Dick,

If your car is a US spec car (option 491) even if it was a European delivery car, I don't believe it would have an "Automatic" emblem.

Kevin

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 10:13:47 »
I wish we could get some definitive documentation on this.  I've seen so many cars with the "automatic" emblem here, and in both placements, I am confused.  Perhaps it was up to the discretion of Gerhardt, the emblem guy on the line?    I have a hard time believing that my 1st owner would have gone out of their way to find an "automatic" emblem and have it installed. My paperwork has the car being purchased in Potomac, MD.  Are there any ex-dealers or plant guys who can weigh in?  Bitte?

Konnte jemand bitte die frage beantworten?

(maybe that will work?)

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 13:39:13 »
I tend to agree with Kevin, Remember that the Pagodas were imported to the US first by Mr. Hoffman of NYC, and was placed in Stuedebaker showrooms, from this beginning, MBNA emerged and became the sole importer of MBs in America (only one other importer since then, importing the G wagon for a time).  This was not a company in the Daimler-Benz Corporate chain.  Also at that time, almost all MBs ordered to be imported were automatics (very some exceptions to this on special orders).  It was unheard of in the US to see a stick shift MB, SL included.  With this in mind, there was no need to display to the driving public that this car was an automatic, the American public expected it was.  Thus, there was no need for the "Automatic" nameplate.  European Mercedes, on the other hand, automatics were an optioned item and carried the nameplate to show the additional option thru all models.  During the 80s, when "gray market" European models came to the US with stick shifts, therefore now you see many Euro Pagodas here in the US.

Also, yes, the nameplate for automatics was on the left side of trunk led, under the 230-250-280SL nameplate.  See Laurence Meredith's book "Original Mercedes SL".  I think any of the Pagodas that show automatic on the right side of trunk led were placed there for symmetrical reasons only.  It is possible that original owners had dealerships put the added nameplate on for what ever reasons.
Bob 
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

DickLewis

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 23:24:37 »
To just continue the discussion further what is everyone's opinion of having it on the trunk?  Specifically in a judging scenario is that a detriment?   How does anyone know if it had it?  Since I am at bare metal on the paint now and happen to have the AUTOMATIC emblem I am contemplating adding it.  I sort of like it.  But I love the forum and opinions.  Thanks.

KevinC

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 00:02:12 »
Dick, do you happen to have your data card with your car's listing of options? If not, they can be obtained via email through the MB Classic Center.

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 00:43:45 »
I seem to remember seeing quite a few SLs running around with the "Automatic" plate attached back when the cars were new. Since mine has a 4 speed, it was of interest to me and wondered why someone would want to "advertise" that :)

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 01:25:07 »
... Since I am at bare metal on the paint now and happen to have the AUTOMATIC emblem I am contemplating adding it.  I sort of like it. 
Dick,
was the emblem on your car before it was stripped? Are the holes still there?
If not, in this topic are instructions showing where to drill them: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=19044.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

DickLewis

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 23:52:43 »
Yes got it and it has been very helpful.  This question is simply to figure out if I could put the Automatic emblem on during this restoration.  Thanks.

DickLewis

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 23:54:57 »
Thanks greatly.  My friend who is very familiar with the SLs and who is doing some of the restoration work really wants me to put the AUTOMATIC eblem on since he gave it to me as a token gift.  I am not sure.  We have to make a decision before they paint to close off the original holes.  I will check out the exact driling instructions. 

KevinC

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 10:39:22 »
Dick, if your data card does not list item "491" which is the designation for "US Version" then I would say you are good to add the Automatic emblem from an originality standpoint. Further if it does.. list this option but you still personally would like to add it just know it won't add (and could potentially subtract from) your car's originality. Simply put, US cars did not get this emblem from the factory.
Kevin

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 15:34:30 »
Hi Dick,

I would leave it off, it looks better that way. It is ovious to anyone looking into your cabin that your car is an automatic. Anyway, that is what I would do. :)

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 18:03:36 »
I would leave it on.  It looks better that way. And mount it on the right side.  No one can look into your cab while you are whizzing past them.  And you'll make your pal happy too.

apologies to all, but if we are adding personal opinions as to how things look, I feel compelled to weigh in.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 02:11:59 »
Thanks greatly.  ................... I am not sure.  We have to make a decision before they paint to close off the original holes. 

Do tell Dick ... what was your final decision?

DickLewis

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 18:34:06 »
I am going for original.  That translates into NOT adding the AUTOMATIC emblem.  The car has been delayed at the painter as the winter in NY has been so bad they have been tied up with many other repairs.  Since I said I was in no hurray it has not yet been painted but is quite close.  In the interim I have been working on re-chroming, having gauges repaired, the steering wheel refinished, and me doing the wood plus just buying more "stuff".  Thanks for asking.

Dick