Author Topic: MB glass issue twice in a row  (Read 2830 times)

FloridaBill

MB glass issue twice in a row
« on: December 25, 2013, 22:35:59 »
Windshield issues
I replaced the original windshield with authentic MB
For the second time I have an issue with the tint or coating whatever you call it retreating or  
Degenerating in the upper right and left comers
Not bad but frustrating as it is the second authentic MB glass with the star logo
My mechanic is not happy and neither am I although it is minor it appears to be growing
Going to replace it again.  Anyone else have this issue? Maybe I got unlucky with two faulty windshields
Maybe it will be a free replacement like the first just trying to get I on how common this occurs with new glass
 Thanks in advance for your replies
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 12:48:59 by FloridaBill »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: MB glass issue twice in a row
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 03:48:14 »
I have the same issue with non-MB replacement glass (could be the same manufacturer). It started after a few years in one of the lower corners, I don't believe it's getting worse though.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 20:19:31 »
PPG  is the maker of the "Mercedes original glass" there really isn't an "original" anymore. Safelight uses PPG windshields and do a good job of installation. Just tell the installers how the chrome has to be installed into the rubber gasket first. They usually employ installers  that have put these windshields in. They use the rope method. Many rear windows on pickup trucks , use the same method.
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 22:50:31 »
Going out on a limb here with just a couple of thoughts…

1) "They don't make them like they used to". An old adage, but I've noticed waviness in new car windows that I never saw before. I'd offer on this one, that the quality of yesterday, isn't the quality of today--and as there are only a small handful of windshield manufacturers, we are beholden to what is available.

2) "Florida Heat". I have no doubt from what Bill describes as the beginning of some de-lamination in the corners. A windscreen is made of two layers of glass (inner and outer) with a polyvinyl plastic bonded in-between. When it starts to de-laminate, you get a waviness around the edges, and I bet that's what Bill describes. I bet the heat and sun of Florida might be a contributor to this issue, but that's only a guess.

Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid