Author Topic: Which other models used our seats?  (Read 4655 times)

jedwards

Which other models used our seats?
« on: January 31, 2014, 07:03:09 »
I have an early 1967 250SL with a broken tilt arm on the right-hand-side seat hinge.  As there would be zero chance of finding a scrap W113 in Australia, what other Mercedes models could furnish a replacement seat hinge mechanism that is compatible with the 250SL?

Many thanks in advance.

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Which other models used our seats?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:35:43 »
Jeff I think they are W113-specific. The break seems a common problem - both of mine are broken. It looks like it should be possible to grind the top 10mm or so of the remaining lever arm to a round cross-section that could be threaded with the correct die. It would perhaps be better to drill and tap a hole in the lever arm to accept a new piece of threaded rod, but the lever arm may not be thick enough for that.
Dave
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 18:22:16 »
To the best of my knowledge there is at least some parts overlap between 113 seats and 111 coupe seats.  Probably the hinging mechanism but maybe more.  But that doesn't help much since 111 coupe seats are just as difficult to get as 113 seats...   Consult EPC for more info on parts interchange.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 20:41:08 »
And if the coupe seats do interchange, it would have to be from a 250SE on down. 280SE and some very late 250SE cars used the newer seat and mechanism.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

ricrose

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 21:20:54 »
Jeff

I had exactly the same issue - I think they get caught on your trouser pockets when you get out of the seat.
All I did was got the threaded top knob (plastic) from one of the dealers and matched the thread of a bolt to it. It may have been 5mm or so. Then it was simply carefully cut off the head, weld the bolt on and grind the weld to the profile of the lever.

The knob has a 'sleeve' section before the thread started which easily covered the weld. Looked as good as new when done, and super easy. I didn't even need to re chrome!  ;D

Richard

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 21:24:29 »
Thanks, good solution!
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

jpinet

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 20:35:01 »
I had the same problem with both my seats. The lever had broken right at the thread line. I thought of welding, but it's a very small surface and with all that material next to it... I measured the depth of the handle and carefully grinded that length from the top part of the lever into as perfectly round a shape as I could manage with a Dremmel. I then threaded that grinded part to the same thread as the one inside the lever and ta-da! Works perfectly and is completely invisible. I had taken my seats out. Easier to manage and a good opportunity to clean those sticky rails!