Author Topic: Suggestions on replacing windshield parts during resto  (Read 4762 times)

racefaith

Suggestions on replacing windshield parts during resto
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:52:22 »
Hello. My mostly cosmetic resto is moving slowly along and my tech has asekd me to purchase the rubber windshield gasket so when ready, he can pop the glass back in.

Id like some suggestions as to whatelse I can replace at this point that is considered on/near/part of the windshield (other then the aforementioend rubber seal and glass itself)

Knowing this could range from a "shade tree" restoration to a nuts and bolts, frame off, Im not looking to go crazy.

So some help in what I should really do here that would increase the visual aethestics and would be smart mechanically but again I dont want to go crazy and replace little screws and plates that only will matter to a judge at Pebble Beach. Im not looking to do a concurs resto.

Also, when he pulls the windshield, is the obvious time to pull out the wood trim strips for refinishing?

thanks in advance!!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Suggestions on replacing windshield parts during resto
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:01 »
It is much easier to remove the wood when the windscreen is off…so that should be a consideration.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 14:38:56 »
Michael,

Huh, I was advised by my painter and Joe to pull the wood before taking out the windshield.  Since we were refurbing instruments and replacing bulbs with LED's it was timely anyway.

Mike
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 16:08:25 »
...pull the wood before taking out the windshield...

The reason for pulling the wood out while the windshield is removed, is that the wooden bows can be lifted straight up. They have protruding screws that come out the bottom, and have been known to either scratch or tear the vinyl or leather w/o a lot of extra care in removal and refitting. Not impossible of course, but that wasn't the question. It's easier to just lift them out and refit when there's no glass there.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 16:43:56 »
Hello,

While you have the windshield out in addition to going over the wood pieces I would check the chrome moldings around the a-pillar/WS-frame for damage/pitting.  These parts cannot be removed for rechroming with the wienndshield in place.
Also the 4 chrome/aluminum trim pieces that are inserted into the windshield rubber gasket can be replaced at this stage.

Hans

Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

KevinC

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 16:52:13 »
I agree with all that's been posted...especially regarding the wood on the top of the dash. Where are you in CT? There are a handful of members in the western Mass area close to the state line around I-91.

racefaith

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 13:07:20 »
Thanks for the responses. I will have him remove the wood trim but refinish it myself.

I live in Simsbury CT which is about 12 miles west of Hartford. Let me know if you folks get together during the year.

rwh

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Mateo
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 20:08:48 »
If you plan to refinish the wood trim be careful. The veneer is very thin and can be easily sanded through to the base wood. Don't ask how I know.  By the way, Madera concepts is very good at repairing an owner's previous attempt at veneer restoration - they did wonders on mine.

RH '64 230sl

KevinC

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 20:22:15 »
If you plan to refinish the wood trim be careful. The veneer is very thin and can be easily sanded through to the base wood. Don't ask how I know.  By the way, Madera concepts is very good at repairing an owner's previous attempt at veneer restoration - they did wonders on mine.

RH '64 230sl

Great call. Probably unorthodox for most but I used liquid wood stripper and fine steel wool. No sand paper.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 18:57:13 by KevinC »