Author Topic: Trimming body panels  (Read 5460 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Trimming body panels
« on: March 07, 2014, 20:41:11 »
What is the correct way to trim a panel for a perfect gap? My trunk (possibly replaced) has a tighter gap behind the rear window on the right than the left. Conversly, it sticks out further compared to the qtr panel on the right than the left. So it appears as the right side is longer than the left. I am trying to equalize the two sides for a better fit.

I have heard the factory did this and wondering when they trimmed the edge, did they lead or weld the edge? 

I don't worry about this on my RoadRunner because it left the factory with uneven gaps.

Thanks!
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Trimming body panels
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 02:21:40 »
The trunk, door and hood edges were filed to fit.  unlike an American car where the edges of the outer skin were rolled over the inner structure on the Mercedes the inner is spot welded to the inner structure and the edges actually show a split between the inner and outer skin if you look closely.   Replacement panels are supplied oversize so you can trim them to size.  Out of curiosity is the trunk lid stamped on the corner with the last 4 numbers of the VIN number?  If not or if the numbers do not match you VIN it has been replaced.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:02:28 »
I had the same problem with both the panel gaps on the trunk and the hood, someone years ago had fitted new wings/fenders and had not paid sufficient attention to the gaps, my solution (which may sound extreme but worked) was to run a length of masking tape along the edge of the trunk and hood at a distance that is slightly smaller than the gap that you require, I then used my grinder and took off enough metal to just touch the tape (the gap should still be too tight), using a large hand file I took off the remaining metal until I was happy with the gap, a little time consuming but you get the result that you want.
I had previously stripped all the paint off so I could see the spot welds.
Eric

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:58:55 »
If you do not have too much to take off an auto body file will work well.  Since the front seam is concave I would use an adjustable file holder so you can maintain the curve:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/adjustable-body-file-holder-p-12262.aspx?gclid=CNm6wbKeir0CFa47Ogod_RQACg

To answer your question more fully the consensus is that there was no edge treatment done.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:00:52 »
Quote from: Shvegel
.../...Out of curiosity is the trunk lid stamped on the corner with the last 4 numbers of the VIN number?.../...
Absolutely not so.
The stamped numbers are the last part of the so called body No (Aufbau No) which is totally independent of the Chassis (VIN) No.
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 19:41:28 »
That is good information. I had assumed the edges were rolled like American cars. I will look at that tonight. I have an adjustable body file and should work well.

Is the body # on a tag or data card to know if it is the original panel?
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 20:56:05 »
Quote from: wwheeler
.../... Is the body # on a tag or data card to know if it is the original panel?
It is stamped on the metal plate in the engine compartment, left near the hood latch. Aufbau No is also in a box on the top row of the cardboard data card of each Pagoda.
/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:02:57 by mbzse »
/Hans S

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 20:24:54 »
I did find the Aufbau # on my data card but could not find any stampings on the trunk lid. It looks like all of the stampings for the W111 doors and trunk lid are crimped over. Is this because they are steel skinned and not aluminum? I even see oval spot welds on some of the flanges.     
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 23:07:23 »
Wallace,

To my  knowledge these body panel stampings are not found on the w111 cars.
Also if the stampings where there and later crimped over it wouldn't make much sense, as I assume
the stampings were used to pair the panels back to the corresponding car after they are primed/ painted seperately away from the car.

Hans
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:21:00 by hkollan »
Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 03:36:51 »
So I guess this topic should really be under the W11XXX since it appears that the steel skin body panels are assembled differently than the aluminum skinned panels. Is that correct?
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe