Author Topic: Coin Tray and Speaker Grill Refinished  (Read 4510 times)

KevinC

Coin Tray and Speaker Grill Refinished
« on: March 19, 2014, 15:23:23 »
So after helping me buy, fix and sell a nice 280SL last year (I guess you'd call it a flip, but it was more about helping make a good Pagoda great again), my father who just turned 92 was anxious for another project (albeit not so big). See the results below...he refinished our friend Urban's (UJJ) interior wood and I had to show these to the group. My dad removed the bottom of the tray, refinished both pieces and has now re-fastened them using the original staples. On the speaker grill, he removed all of the individual wood strips, carefully cleaned each piece, then re-glued and refinished.

Not bad, right?

PS: For anyone who wants to say "send your dad to my house", he's actually going in for shoulder surgery next month!

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
Re: Coin Tray and Speaker Grill Refinished
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 17:09:03 »
Much more than not bad Kevin. Your Dad (Joe) is a very special person; which makes you a very blessed son.
Just gorgeous, now I can’t wait to get them in my car.
I don’t know how to thank Joe for such beautiful and meticulous work. I just hope the shoulder surgery is not related to this work he did on the wood. Joe also refinished the 2 pieces located at the windshield which I already have. Same beautiful work (see picture).
Thanks again, I owe you two…
Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 18:26:01 »
@KevinC: Send your dad to my house. Does he do bodywork as well?
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 18:48:34 »
Kevin--looks wonderful. My 91 year old dad, soon to be 92, would do the same if I asked, probably at similar quality. Your Dad--God Bless Him!!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

KevinC

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 19:06:08 »
Thanks guys. He was actually an electrician by trade retiring 27 years ago! He can't stop himself, though...always needs to be busy.

Below is a picture from "Window Adjustment Day" last year. Urban (on the right) determined the strategy, my dad executed it and I (that's me on the left) bought lunch! 

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 20:16:57 »
Beautiful work Kevin. You are very lucky to have a father that is such a fine craftsman! I can only imagine what a great electrician he must have been:-)

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:09:05 »
Kevin, All the best to your dad, tell him we all wish him a speedy recovery after the shoulder sugary. Once he recovers tell him to start work on a cup hider to fit into that nice tray (you may have seen the one I purchased in Williamsburg, VA. last September (I posted a picture someplace - I can always take another one to inspire your dad for the next project). :) Once he done one he might even mass produce them for others during a meet :)

Mike, I think you will keep your dad busy this year with all the work you planned in your fine kitchen :) What was the make again of those fine smooth closing kitchen cabinet doors and drawers?
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 02:42:54 »
Simply fabulous, the man and the craftsmanship!!
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

KevinC

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 19:17:43 »
Thanks guys. I do know how fortunate I am to have him.

Here's another pic...at least we can see him from the front. Most photos are of the back of his head because he's always WORKING!