Author Topic: Leather vrs Vinyl Interior  (Read 6687 times)

Autobob

Leather vrs Vinyl Interior
« on: April 25, 2014, 21:02:25 »
Need to redo the interior of this new 71' 280SL project. Going to use World products covers and carpet. Car had all vinyl interior in it and it is all shot from sitting outside in sun for 10 years uncovered. 1st choice would be leather for looks, smell, feel. In Kansas though very hot and car has no AC so will most likely use custom sheepskins over seats. Worlds vinyl seems to have pretty good looking large grain to it. Any feedback on long term vinyl vrs leather for door panels and soft top cover? I wonder if leather will curl easier / quicker with age. Maybe should just do leather and be done with it but hides on leather even with cotton backing vinyl seems perhaps way to go. Not looking from cost view just function and life span. Thank you.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Leather vrs Vinyl Interior
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 21:44:15 »
For life span then vinyl wins every time but for comfort and style it has to be leather.

Autobob

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 22:00:03 »
True and the smell of leather I like as well. Supplier says the German Vinyl is hard to tell difference from leather visually. Seems most current vinyl is thin and tacky looking which would be very bad. Is German OEM Vinyl different, thick and high quality?

KevinC

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 22:34:54 »
Here's a close-up of my vinyl interior courtesy of GAHH. It was installed in 2006. This pic was taken last summer. We purchased our 2012 C300 with eggshell colored vinyl simply due how well it holds up. It just never looks worn.

gimp

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 04:29:27 »
I have a vinyl soft top. It was put on in 1978 and it looks as good now as it did then.
My interior is also vinyl and it still looks good, with no cracks or signs of wear.
I must say though that armor all has a lot to do with.
Frank

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 05:29:45 »
Frank,
vinyl softop for Pagoda? Who makes them?

I abbe the MBTex interior put in 90s, and thought of changing it for leather. It holds up so well in terms of look and practicality that I gave up for the moment.
I also thought that in hot days it would be like seating on a piece of plastic, with sweat and discomfort, but our trip to Willingen (2800 km or 1700 m) proved otherwise.

But for the smell.... thats fact! However nowadays you can buy the smell of leather in a spray ;D 
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

gimp

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:27:01 »
Mine was made in a small shop just outside of Lahr Germany.
The elderly gentleman said that he could put canvas however if I
wanted the top to stay new looking for years to come he advised vinyl.
One other point about a vinyl top, it is fairly thin and fits into the boot with out a hassle.
So to answer your question I suppose any professional canvas maker would be able to fit a vinyl roof.
Frank

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 07:25:28 »
The first pagoda I ever drove came from Ft Leavenworth ;D. I drove it from my house in Lansing to KC. A friend was selling it to buy a corvette. Which he is now selling to buy a MB. I should have bought that pagoda.

As I recall from my fond memories of KS it has 2 seasons, and both can be quite extreme. I would love to have had my own pagoda with me whilst living out there.

As for your question, and given the nature of the weather, I would have though leather. Sitting on hot vinyl can't be any fun. I had a Jeep with vinyl and it was misery in the summer. Our ford had leather and was much better.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

iftykhan

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 08:35:33 »
You must have read my mind Autobob, as I am in the same situation and was going to ask something similar.

I suppose it comes down to how many miles and how often you use your car?
I think I will go the leather route as I only really use my car during the summer for around 2000 miles, so I am hoping wear will not be too much of an issue. You just cannot beat that lovely smell and feel of leather.

I had to place a small cushion on the drivers seat last summer if I left the car in the sun for anything longer than 15 mins. Very uncomfortable to sit on a hot seat!!

Ifty
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:42:41 by iftykhan »

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:29:02 »
My interior is black MB tex, and I  have to admit it just looks like new, not bad for a 43 year old lady !
Apart from the smell, there ´s almost no way you could tell the difference from leather.
To be honest, one sit has a tear I made myself when leaving a scewdriver in my rear pocket (oops!), but I am told this is an easy fix, as there are repair kits for MB tex.
Even the upholstery shop I contacted told me to hold on with vinyl, but  if it were  totally ruined, I might go for leather  instead, and opt for a different color as beige or grey... :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:19:36 by philmas »
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

Autobob

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 19:12:27 »
Thank you all for replying, the decision is to go blue German vinyl with custom sheepskins on the buckets for summer comfort. Kansas gets 4 full seasons of weather, hot summers, cold winters and wonderful spring / fall weather. Vinyl should be more forgiving if caught in rain as well.