Author Topic: Parts for Pagoda  (Read 4444 times)

Dilip.C

Parts for Pagoda
« on: May 04, 2014, 19:12:54 »
Hi there,

I'm a new owner of a 1967 250 SL Pagoda and need the following bits for it:

Spark plugs + HT leads
Distributor caps
Rotor arm
Head gasket set
Head bolt set
Piston rings

Will it make a difference buying original or aftermarket?
Does anyone have any strong preferences?

The exhaust is showing signs of grey smoke hence the request for the need for piston rings.

Thanks in advance
Dilip
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:53:36 by 280SL71 »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Parts for Pagodao
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:07:36 »
Welcome.

I'd use Mercedes of Poole if in the uk. Buy from them and you'll get the right parts. Join the MB club and the discount pays for itself.

Is your car using oil? What investigation have you done that leads you to jump right onto piston rings (which may be hard to find)?

If you haven't already done so you should read up on the linkage adjustments, on types of spark plugs, etc.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Parts for Pagodao
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:09:47 »
Totally agree with James, bit early to be jumping to a rings needed conclusion. There will be lots of things to check before you end up in that expensive rebuild. As James said the linkage tour and also a compression test is a good start.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Dilip.C

Re: Parts for Pagoda
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 17:58:08 »
Hi James and Garry
Thanks for the reply. If you are referring to the linkage adjustments as the linkages connecting the accelerator then just to give to give you a bit more info:
The accelerator linkage had jammed in the open position so then the car was started up it went to max revs. ( the car had not been driven for about a year). This has been fixed and we are looking to change the HT leads and other service bits before going to look into the pistons. This is some way away but bracing myself for the worst.

I have also noticed that the rubber seals around the doors have deteriorated and I have to drop the windows slightly to shut the doors. These rubber seals are very expensive! Are they difficult to take off and replace.
James I am a member the MB club and have used Sean at MB of Poole for my 107 but I m trying to save as much as poss .

I am sure I will be using this forum a lot ; so thanks a lot in advance.

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 19:50:11 »
My throttle stuck once while wifie was driving, no telling how long the engine sat there near red line.  But the motor survived unscathed.  These are heavey duty motors, built to take a beating. 

On the other hand you can't just replace the rings and expect much improvement in sealing as the piston grooves wear too much and the old holes aren't round and the new rings are.  Its best to do a leak-down.  You can actually hear the air leak past the rings and hear intake valves leak in the intake and exhausts leak at the rear pipes.  For me, its a little easier to pin point the issues in each cylinder.

And don't worry about it not driven for a year.  Mine is very used to that every few years.  Just change all the fluids and ensure the calipers are functioning as they should. 

I would discourage you from rushing into a partial motor rebuild.   There are threads on motor rebuilding cautions. 
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 22:19:33 »
Dilip

Within the Technical Manual there is an area called Tuning/Setup Procedures  http://www.sl113.org/wiki/TuneupOverview/Start

In there is an area called the Linkage Tour.  Anyone that owns a Pagoda needs access to that area or at least their mechanic should, it is key to the smooth operation of the Pagoda and the remedy for many problems.  It is almost the first thing that an owner should have done to the car before starting on any other mechanical areas in fault finding.

However having said that, the area I am referring too is restricted to Full Members only. A small fee of $USD30 as an annual fee gives you full access to all areas of the Technical Manual in the Pagoda SL Group as well as the ‘Pagoda Notes” and Pagoda World magazine.
In the home page   http://www.sl113.org/  at the bottom left you will see the Join or Renew Full membership. That $30 will save you hundreds of pounds if you are starting to work on the Pagoda just from the wealth of knowledge that members will share with you.

As James said I suspect that your car is just not set up properly and that should be done before thinking about going down the ring replacement route.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

alchemist

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 02:07:19 »
For tune up parts, I use the following websites; however, I am not sure if they ship to the UK:
http://www.autohausaz.com/
http://www.rockauto.com/
http://www.partsgeek.com/models/300se/mercedes.html
http://www.pelicanparts.com/Mercedes-Benz/index-SC.htm?utm_source=googleppc&utm_medium=1974+Mercedes+Parts&utm_term=1974+mercedes+parts&utm_campaign=Mercedes+Parts&gclid=CIz_i_Sy7LYCFeNcMgodbHMAaw
I do agree with the other members not to jump into conclusion regarding engine re-build before performing tests such as leak down and compression.