Author Topic: Adjustment of fabric top (hood)  (Read 4816 times)

Royzeboyze

Adjustment of fabric top (hood)
« on: June 15, 2014, 21:11:27 »
Have a 230 SL, the hood is a pain to put up. It has a bar at the back which moves on its own to tighten the hood tension, this is the fourth bar and not stuck down, the hood frame is alloy. On one side there is a wire tensioner that holds the side in. This has come out of its slot and is flapping about, in fact the tensioner the other side is not there, has a hole in the hood probably caused by this wire. I shall have to cut the good wire out, I don't think it will affect anything! It seems that it was fixed at the factory as the screws are centre punched. I might be able to bend out with a Mole or similiar.

I think the hood might have shrunk, it is still in good condition and a putty colour. I have slackened the screws for the lockdown at the front, which makes it easier for the adjustors to locate, by slamming the back of the hood down into the back panel you might get lucky. It takes two strong guys after this has been done to move the back bar to tension. I have to take it gently as it looks as if the handles in the front could break. the locators at the front are not flush and at an angle. Is it possible to adjust the hood from the back, it does not look as if there are any adjustments at the back, no elongated bolt holes. The bars at the sides, the folding parts do not fit flat when tensioned.

Any suggestions welcome. 

jpinet

Re: Adjustment of fabric top (hood)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:39:20 »
In the well, there are two bolts on each side of your top that hold the frame's feet to the car. You shim these more or less and you can move the frame's feet backwards and forward to adjust it. I've just done this myself.

As for the tensioner, are you talking of the soft steel cable that runs along both sides of your top and is attached to the front with a screw into the top's fabric or is it the hard wire that has a curve in it and attached to the side of the frame with a large slotted head screw?. If it's that wire, it inserts into a hole in the frame. It really needs to have the right curve otherwise it will bend when you try unfolding the back part of your top. I found that adding a bit of grease into the hole helped once I had managed to bend it back into the correct shape.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:44:16 by jpinet »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 05:42:58 »
Some pictures of what you mean would really help.

Couple of things: I think there is adjustment at the back for the catch, which can help reduce closing difficulty. Next, the wires are there to ensure the sides of the top sit flush against the windows when the top is up. You do need them. Replacements are available.

You already know about adjusting the frame feet. Shipping them can help address the challenge of getting the hood arms to sit straight over the windows, avoiding the dreaded 'elbow' syndrome.

You could try getting your hood wet to stretch it. You should also follow the correct hood latching procedure. There is a wealth of information on this site about hood adjustments, and the search engine is excellence.  A few hours reading may save you a heap of trouble.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Royzeboyze

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:14:27 »
Thanks for all your help Guys, very helpful.

Its the thin wire that holds the sides of the hood in at the back. Do you take the hood off to get to the screw because it is centre punched and locked, or can you bend a new wire round the screw.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:51:56 »
The proper parts come with a ring at the end, so the screw holds the wire very firnly. It needs to be tight.

Do a search using me as the thread starter for the link to about 200 photos of how to install a soft top. There are, I think, some of the wire being replaced that should help.

I don't recall that you need to remove the soft top, but you may need to peel back the front bit to get to the screw. You should be able to feel for it under the canvas. Use UHU or a similar contact adhesive to stick it back down again. www.Cabrio.de will sell the wires, but so will others, I am sure.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 11:25:38 »
I think he is talking about the wire that is supposed to prevent the soft top being trapped by the
side latches on a 230 hood. It affixes to one of the side screws the other end slides into a hole
in the rear most soft top frame member. One each side. I think you can get it on the screw without removing
it, but not sure about when the soft top is attached.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 14:52:25 »
I think he is talking about the wire that is supposed to prevent the soft top being trapped by the
side latches on a 230 hood. It affixes to one of the side screws the other end slides into a hole
in the rear most soft top frame member. One each side. I think you can get it on the screw without removing
it, but not sure about when the soft top is attached.

Opps! I'll get my coat... ::)
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL