Author Topic: Tires  (Read 38556 times)

n/a

Re: Tires
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2004, 15:13:09 »
Douglas,

Thank you for you comments about our company.

Although we were able to use the name "Pheonix", the 185R14 Phoenix is not a reproduction or replica of the Firestone tire.  In fact, the majority of our sales are going into Europe where the Firestone was not the O.E. tire.  Nevertheless, if the original Fireston mold had been available, we would have use it.  

The first production run of the 185R14 Phoenix ( without the curb guard) is not defective.  We made a cosmetic change and established the 2nd generation of tire.  This is not uncommon in the tire industry; we know this only too well.  Regarding concessions - that's a custoner service issue best handled directly with the customer - not on a public forum - Jim

Albert de la Torre Chavalera

Thank you for your condolences - I considered carefully before sharing that information, but was encouraged to do so in a effort to stress that we make every effort to respond quickly to our customers with few exceptions.

Michelin has added the 185R14 MXV-P to their vintage or classic tire line - while they have indicated that this tire is available.  they have not given us any costing information.  we sent an inquiry to them today for that specific information. BY the way - Pneum Galacta has purchased the 185R14 Phoenix from us- Jim

Hauser -  I doubt that the Michelin 185R14 has a ww - but we are going to ask.  - Jim

Douglas

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2004, 15:46:48 »
Jim,

Thanks for your reply. Your time here says a lot about how seriously you take your customers, so it's much appreciated. Enthusiasts like us need suppliers like you.

I'd like to point out that I believe the Firestone Phoenix was indeed available in Europe and was often the original equipment tire on European W113 SLs, along with a similar tire from Continental.

In fact, my own experience was the opposite of what you described. My first SL was a Swiss 280SL with an original Phoenix spare and my current SL is a US-spec model with a Continental tire that has a very similar tread and sidewall pattern. The data cards on both cars confirm that these were indeed original equipment.

Finally, my condolences. We appreciate your time here.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 15:48:08 by Douglas »

Albert-230SL

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2004, 12:33:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by hauser

Albert, is this Michelin MXV-P available in a WW?
Hi Hauser,

I don't think so. I asked this to the Spanish importer some months ago, and he told me that Michelin is now producing only black wall tires of the MXV-P 185HR14. He also has ww kits to be glued on the black wall tires... but it's not the same...

But who knows? This MXV-P was out of production during some time, until Michelin decided to include it in its classic/vintage line... maybe they will introduce a ww version in the future... I guess it will depend on the market.

Regards

Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

hauser

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2004, 12:48:11 »
Albert I don't know if it's just me but I really like the look of the WW on these cars.  If an individual had white wall tires on their car it meant they added an extra option to the car.  Perhaps Michelin would sell more tires if they had this option available.  As for the glue on WW the JC Whitney Co. offered this option.  

I remember an uncle of mine taking his 1967 Chevy II Nova to Portugal with him when he retired.  He loved his WW so much he had them re-treaded because they were not available there at that time.  He eventually had to go to black walls that did not due the car justice, especially with all that chrome.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 13:39:15 by hauser »

Albert-230SL

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2004, 13:00:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Hildebrand

Michelin has added the 185R14 MXV-P to their vintage or classic tire line - while they have indicated that this tire is available.  they have not given us any costing information.  we sent an inquiry to them today for that specific information. BY the way - Pneum Galacta has purchased the 185R14 Phoenix from us- Jim
Hi Jim,

That's amazing: your company is listed by Michelin as the Michelin classic line importer for America, and you don't have costing information, when Pneum Galacta is selling this MXV-P 185HR14 since -at least- one year ago... It seems that Michelin is not interested in selling classic tires in America! [:0]

And yes, I knew about your Phoenix tires through Galacta. When I was looking for correct tires (size, speed rating, and better with curb guard) for my 230 SL -I had wrong 195/70 tires then-... it was really difficult. Kentaro from Galacta told me about your Phoenix as the only option, but just then he knew about the re-edition of the MXV-P, and I chose the Michelins.

Best regards

Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2004, 16:41:03 »
Jim,

Thanks for your response and sorry for your loss.

I registered my desire to return the tires as soon as I learned that the rub stripe was omitted from the first production run.  Adding the rub stripe is a tacit acknowledgement that the first run was faulty.

One could argue that I should have returned the tires 2 years ago.  

Another fair argument is that I should have been notified by Coker that the rub stripe was omitted and offered a return and refund.  In other words, take the burden off the customer and do what is right.  This is what I expect out of a premium product at a premium price offered by a premium company.

I have not used the tires for more than 100 miles.  I took them off because they road poorly.

At this point, I am expecting nothing from your company.  It would not change my view of the tire-it is over priced, rides like they are filled with concrete and not backed by good customer service.

You can read my posts on this board.  I have never had negative comments about vendors-only praise.  In this case, I was compelled to keep other enthusiasts from making the same costly mistake I made.

Best,

Tom

1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic (restored & enhanced)
1971 280sl Tobacco Brown (low mileage stock)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 20:01:30 by Tom »
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic

n/a

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2004, 06:37:08 »
Hi Guys

This might be a little off topic but here is the site for a tyre size calculator. If you know what size your original tyres should be, then you can determine how far your speedo will be out by changing the profile.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

From what I can determine, my 230 SL was originally fitted with 185/78 14's and came with 70 profile tyres when I bought it. I recently replaced them with 185/75 R14's in a Sumitomo whitewall. They look good but tend to squeal when I push the car hard. I think I'll go for Michelins next time.

Mark

1965 230 SL light blue, auto, RHD

TR

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2005, 18:00:44 »
Bob -- I've done a lot of digging on this subject of tires, and like you, I'm about to go with a set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-Ts.  Now that you've had yours for awhile how do you like them?  Would you make the same choice again? I'm leaning toward a 205/70TR14 white wall.  Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom in Boise
'71 280SL 4-spd Signal Red w/lt. tan leather

Originally posted by bpossel

Hi All,
This is such a great group of friends!  Thank you for all of your replys!!!!  The MX4's have been a good tire, and I have 3 with less than 10k miles if anyone is interested in them...

Anyway, based on your replys and since I drive the car on a regular basis, I have decided to buy the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T.  It seems that not only some of our fellow 113 drivers have and like them, but they are also very well rated by Consumer Reports.

Again, Thank you all for your support!!!
Bob

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2005, 18:35:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

All,

When I bought my 280sl a few months ago, it came with Michelin P195/75 R14 Rainforce MX4's (Whitewalls).  Yesterday I ran over something that cut the tire (not repairable).

Looks like I will need 4 new ones, whereas Michelin no longer makes the Rainforce MX4 and no longer makes whitewalls.

What tires do you have on your 113?  What size?  I read that the original size was 185/80 R14.  
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Bob and Tom,

Last summer I made a long post called Tire Nirvana; you can look this up and see what I found out with my tires, balancing etc.  I have the Coker Phoenix and I found them remarkably better then Pirelli P400's I had.  Tom Sargent, someone whose experience we all should respect, had a completely different take on them.  Neither of us are wrong or crazy; clearly they were different on different cars.  I have only chosen WW tires since that is what the car came with and the look that I like.  I went back to the original tire size; the 205's would not mount in my trunk on the spare, and they rubbed the inner wheel well on a lock turn.  It is pointless to debate which tire is better; I have not tried Michelins on my car.  My cars suspension is completely stock and less then 4,000 miles on all components--no special springs, no Koni's, no urethane bushings, no large sway bar, etc.  Exactly as it was supposed to be, with all its faults.

This summer one of the plans was to do some tire swapping at Joe Alexanders.  Anybody coming there is welcome to give my Coker's a try.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

TR

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2005, 20:00:58 »
Mike -- Thanks for the comments.  I've been running Michelin MXV4s in size 205/70R14 for a number of years.  Great tires, and no problems with fit.  But they are getting old.  And the beautiful photos of your car, and Tom's car, with those wonderful white walls convinced me that it is time for a change.

Tom in Boise

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2005, 02:28:01 »
I've been using Bridgestone Turanza 205/70-14 LS-T blackwalls on my car and am quite happy with them.  See also my post under the other topic on tires at http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=2880

Chris

bpossel

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2005, 06:53:21 »
Hi Tom,

I ended up buying the Bridgestone Turanza LST 195/75 R14 Whitewalls last August.  I have only put 1,900 miles on them so far, but am very satisfied with them.  They seem to hold the road well and are quiet tires.  I have a '97 E320 with Michelins and when I look at replacements, I will probably install the Bridgestones.

Good Luck!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Ben

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2005, 06:53:53 »
I am currently trying to order the LS-T's here in Ireland in WW and 205's.

Its proving rather difficult but I really like the look of them and since Bridgestone tyres are supposed to be good in the rain it should suit me !   :(

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

TR

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2005, 09:35:45 »
Bob -- Thanks very much!

Was there a particular reason for choosing that size?

Also, do you know what the white wall width is?  I have not seen one up close; amd the only info I can get is that the WW varies between 0.6 and 1.0 inch, which is quite a spread.

Tom in Boise

hauser

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2005, 09:58:28 »
The WW width on the Bridgestone is .6" and the Coker is 3/4".  The new Michelins have a narrower WW width.  The Bridgeston Turanza and the NLA Michelin Rainfoce share the same WW width.  I have Rainforce 195/75/14 on my car and have looked into suitable replacements.  I'm really not sold on the Coker tires just yet.  They're a very pricey tire especially when you consider the shelf life of a tire.

Tire shelf life has been discussed in an earlier post.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Ed Cave

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2005, 10:24:13 »
Here is a good picture of the WW Bridgestone Turanza LS-T.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+LS-T&sidewall=White+Stripe+.6-1.0

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL
2002 SC430
2004 A4 3.0

Ed Cave

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2005, 10:32:08 »
Would a 195/75TR14 tire show accurate MPH on the US speedo as originally calibrated?

The Bridgestone tire discussed below does not come in a WW in a 185 - must use 195.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL
2002 SC430
2004 A4 3.0

bpossel

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2005, 11:57:59 »
Hi Ed.

Here's a web site (sorry, it's Miata..., not MB) that helps calculate the speed difference with various tires sizes.  It appears that with the 195's, when my speedo indicates 60MPH, I am actually going 61.4MPH

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 11:59:09 by bpossel »

TR

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2005, 12:07:25 »
Bob, Ed -- In your opinions, is there a compelling reason to go with 195/75R14 vs. 205/70R14?

Tom in Boise

bpossel

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2005, 12:20:16 »
Hi Tom,

Not in my opinion.  The size I ended up with was what my tire guy to get ahold of at the time.  The price was also right....
Your speedo will be off an additional ~ mile or so when your at 60, will really be at ~62, but no issue with me...
Regards,
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2005, 15:38:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Cave

Would a 195/75TR14 tire show accurate MPH on the US speedo as originally calibrated?

Yes.  According to the Tire Rack, a 185/80-14 Bridgestone (the original size) rotates 811 times per mile, and a 195/75-14 (or a 205/70-14) Bridgestone rotates 814 times per mile.  So changing from one to the other would change a reading of 60 mph to a reading of 60.22 mph -- not enough of a change to notice.  You'd probably get more of a difference by changing from one brand of tire to another.  

Chris Earnest
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 15:43:19 by gugel »

TR

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2005, 15:41:52 »
Thanks Bob.  Since I'm not pressed for time on this I think I'll probably order a set of Turanza LS-T 205/70R14s in WW.

Tom in Boise

Dick M

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2005, 16:30:34 »
This is a little off subject but has anyone had problem with trunk lid hinge rubbing on 195/75 spare? It rubbed a grove in the my tire cover. :evil:

Dick M
1970 280SL

TR

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2005, 08:12:15 »
Dick -- Until recently I've always had an original Continental 185/HR14 spare in the trunk.  That's all I've ever had, and as might be expected with that original tire there was no observable contact with the trunk hinge.

Funny thing about that original Continental spare though.  Not long after having bought the car (20 years ago) I noticed the spare didn't have air.  I asked my local service people to take care of it.  They said they did.  Then maybe a year or two later I again noticed it had no air.  After going through this slow leak-down problem multiple times I finally insisted they put a tube in it.  They did NOT want to do that, but I held my ground, and when I picked the car up the bill reflected the cost of a new tube.  The spare wasn't checked for years afterward, but more recently I noticed once again that the spare was flat.  Then I finally saw that the old original Continental says right on the sidewall "Tube Type".  I don't think the service people ever paid attention to that, and it was clear they simply did not want to put a tube in the tire.  It also recently became clear that they'd never put a tube in, and that they'd lied when they said they did.  The result was that I'd been driving around for the better part of 2 decades with a flat spare that was taking up a lot of trunk space.

As mentioned earlier, my interior guy will soon be redoing the trunk.  And like a new SL my 280 will no longer carry a spare tire, but will instead have a nice little storage compartment built in for a can of "Flat Fix" along a small 12VDC compressor.

Tom in Boise

graphic66

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2005, 08:55:08 »
I remember in the past some serious safety concerns with the fix a flat. Mainly it is a flamable gas that can explode when you go to repair the tire. This may have been remedied in the newer product, I'm not sure. Also a tire can become debeaded or seriously blown out and fix a flat won't work. I think a spare is a nessasary evil to a motor car. It really is embarassing to be found dead in a great car like the Mercedes for any reason. I also have the 205/70 tires and the trunk hinge hits the spare. I plan on taking my spare mount to my fabricator and have him cut it down and reweld it for more clearence, if I have enough room to lower it.