Author Topic: Spring Mounts/Pads  (Read 3617 times)

bpossel

Spring Mounts/Pads
« on: September 14, 2004, 11:40:04 »
Hello All,

Is there a procedure for replacing the front and rear spring mounts, pads?  I know that you have to match the spring color code to the correct pad part number, but was curious how difficult a procedure this is and if there is a proc posted.

Thanks!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Spring Mounts/Pads
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 12:48:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

Is there a procedure for replacing the front and rear spring mounts, pads?

Sure, it's in the Big Blue Book (MB Maintenance Manual).  It might be in the Haynes manual.  Every part has a procedure for replacing it, otherwise our old cars would never have new parts!   :)

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 14:51:11 »
Hey Bob,

Do a search on progressive springs and my screen name.  You should find a pretty good explanation of what needs to be done.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 18:06:08 »
What a pain!! I have to redue my front and rear again . Odd think if I left the pads in I took out it would be fine. what a masugunna!!!!!!!!! I was .

Bob Geco

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 11:18:29 »
OK, I admit..  I was trying to get some "free" advice...  I do have the Haynes manual, but dont have the BBB.  I guess I need to break down and buy the BBB.

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

Is there a procedure for replacing the front and rear spring mounts, pads?

Sure, it's in the Big Blue Book (MB Maintenance Manual).  It might be in the Haynes manual.  Every part has a procedure for replacing it, otherwise our old cars would never have new parts!   :)

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 11:34:56 »
Bob & Bob,

Bob P, don't feel bad -- that's what this site is all about. Often times it is the real-life experience of actually doing the job that is most useful. Manuals don't always mention the best way to save yourself headaches & scraped up knuckles. But good ol' "been there, done that" can.

Bob G, do you feel like sharing why you are feeling like such a "masagunna?" -- I am assuming that is not a good thing! What went awry?

Thanks.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

zanone

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 12:34:19 »
Bob,

Come get my BBB. It came with the white 69 that just arrived. DZ

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 13:54:18 »
This experience with changing to progressive rate springs has got me all confused. I must of collected and read 100 e-mails reguarding the replacement and I now many of you out their have done so already. The trick is to not jump start the proceeder like I had to do. I assumed and I hope I can use that work causiously.
The pads I took out of the front were 32.5 MM and the rear 18MM had I keep this same formula I am told the wheel height of 25 1/2 inches would have been substained and my rear positive wheel caster would be slight negitive the way it was suppose to be.
By the way something I did learn is about some very small bolt s with a flat head and a 6 MM nut go in the bottom pad . I also notiiced the pads had black tape on them to keep them in place.
Although my car is not a show SL like many of the nice cars on this forum I do try to do everything to spec Well!!!!!! the second time around.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 13:55:31 by Bob G »