Author Topic: front bumpers  (Read 3914 times)

Markbhai

front bumpers
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:52:52 »
Can someone upload a picture of the corner of the front bumper showing the gap between bumper and side wing, preferably with a tape measure?

I have bought some new bumpers and the gap looks big but no longer have my old ones to compare.

Thanks

Mark

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Re: front bumpers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 14:41:57 »
Looks to be about .5 inch on mine.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Markbhai

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 20:49:19 »
Thanks.

Mine is about 3/4 inch, so not really a problem.

Cheers

Mark

Markbhai

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:54:21 »
And now the back bumpers.

How big is the gap between the body and the bumper on your Pagoda?

Mine appears to be around 1 cm on one side and 1.5 cm on the other... which is closest to correct?

Thanks

Mark

felix

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 15:25:17 »
First you have to check the position of the mounting holes. I used paper tape and marked the center of the body at the front and rear. Using a piece of wood molding see if the mounting holes line up symmetrically. Some cars had some "bumps" fixed in the corners and may have not come up exactly to the original position. The best is to line up the back bumpers by checking the inside edge of the bumper against the trunk panel. Sometime you need to add some washers behind the bumper and the support. I do not think there is a specification for that gap. Most of those gaps were adjusted according to "best fit" theory. You can also get some idea by going to a show with the measuring tape to see which gap setting is the one you like best. I try to minimize large gaps and adjusted them as "dry fit" before choosing the final set. The front bumper is a lot easier because of the different design.

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 16:25:57 »
 Looks to be pretty close to a 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) again (both sides). I should mention the bumpers have been off the car a few times over the year to clean and wax behind them but were always put back on in exactly the same location (I marked the bolt's CL on the bracket first:-) Never been "bumped" either.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Scottcorvette

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 17:35:45 »
Mind me asking, where did you get the bumpers? Are you happy with them?

My chrome plater told me mine were borderline to rechrome and if I could get new that would be a better bet. I can't justify the MB price so am looking for good alternatives.

Thanks in advance.